Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to build a curved wall?

how to build a curved wall?

I am in the middle of my next project, am trying to build a pumpkin cart bed for my daughter.

I have completed so far, and now I am stuck.

HOW DO YOU BUILD A CURVED WALL???

I need to build 3-4 of these walls so I need them to be repeatable.

the sphere is 6ft/1800mm in diameter, 5ft(1500mm) high. there 8 posts/8 sections.

thoughts and comment please.

IMG_2230.jpg

Fiberglass, flame resistant cloth, wicker, leather. metal screen. panel beater could make something for you. lath and plaster
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Fiberglass, flame resistant cloth, wicker, leather. metal screen. panel beater could make something for you. lath and plaster
    Bil lD.

I was hoping to make it out of timber... maybe this will take too long... perhaps fibreglass will be the most viable option.

Maybe out of slats? Say take few 1/8 pieces and a bending form to shape you need and glue them together. I did this when I made my daughter a rocker but I glue contrasting wood together.

If you want it to be wood then “ribs” then wacky wood.

Google both and you will figure it out.

If plaster kinda the same then 1/4 rock as far as it will bend. May have to break it and seam as it wants to crack. Seam it then continue on. You will make octagon pretty much then build up mud/plaster to make a perfect radius. You can also try scoring the back side of thicker rock and bending that but I’d probably just go with layers of thiner rock.

If wood your gonna have exposed fasteners. Using laminate or veneer over you work after it’s built can mitigate this. Otherwise you can try and secure it from behind or use some kind of puck and or decorative washer/fasteners from the front almost as a design element. Watch the news you will see panels made up like this with pucks all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    Maybe out of slats? Say take few 1/8 pieces and a bending form to shape you need and glue them together. I did this when I made my daughter a rocker but I glue contrasting wood together.

Made a bunch of trees for a museum using Structolite plaster:

SANY0129.jpg
    SANY0104.jpg
    SANY0105.jpg

Shingles?
    Bill D

I would do it with wood slats, either flat or bent, tenoned/Domino-ed between the ribs, and not try to make the walls solid. Having air space will help insure it doesn't get hot in the gourd, as it were, while still giving the visual look of a solid object. THAT is a very kewel project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bendable plywood? Not sure how thick it comes.

I don't understand what you're trying to do. Maybe you're trying to hang a spherical surface on those ribs? If so, inflate a weather balloon inside that structure. Cover with fiberglass and resin. Wait for it to cure. Deflate the balloon and remove.

Make more ribs like you have except taper them so they fit together like barrel staves.

John

expanded metal mesh

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I don't understand what you're trying to do. Maybe you're trying to hang a spherical surface on those ribs? If so, inflate a weather balloon inside that structure. Cover with fiberglass and resin. Wait for it to cure. Deflate the balloon and remove.
    That would certainly be one way to make a pumpkin, but the OP stated he wants the end result to be wood.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Having done numerous projects on my and my friends houses I think curved walls are the norm...