Thread: Help with identifying a brace drill

Help with identifying a brace drill

Got this neat old drill, but have no idea when, where, or who made it. The chuck is just a square hole to accept the end of the bit. One small braze spot on brass collar. Only marked with what I assume is the owner's name "J. H. Geese". Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

IMG_1400.jpgIMG_1401.jpgIMG_1402.jpg

Blog Entries
    That is an odd duck. The problem with auger bits in an egg beater style set up is there isn't enough torque to spin most Russel Jennings or Irwin style bits. There are other bits they likley would be able to use.

Yours has features that make me think it might be made in England. That could be totally wrong.

You might try > https://www.georgesbasement.com

There is an email eddress there. Maybe they can help.

Please report back if you do learn something elsewhere.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for that. I'll reach out to George and will keep you updated.

Could possibly be a one-off made by a machinist. Sandy is an expert on braces and drills. I’d send him an email. Also a great guy to buy stuff from. http://sydnassloot.com/

His name is in American Machinist (magazine ). Print is too small for my screen

I did notice some additional markings

on one side of the handle the name J.H.Geese is overstamped on what looks like the letters "F W S T" Difficult to take a good photo of it, but here's what I have for now.

I appreciate the suggestions and have reached out to the people suggested. Still no joy, but hopefully we'll get there. It is a nice piece. Oh, the chuck is square tapering towards the top, so it definitely looks like it was for the early post drill style bits.

IMG_1403.jpg