Thread: Does Velcro lose its stickiness with age?

Does Velcro lose its stickiness with age?

Have an unopened roll of Mirca sandpaper for a drum sander and it flew off almost as soon as the drum started spinning. It out it back aim and same behavior. This roll came with the sander when I bought it from someone about 5 years ago so it could be 10 years old. It was still wrapped in the original plastic though.
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    My experience with velcro is that the grip gets weaker over repeated opening and closing. That would apply to the base plate of your sander not new pads from your inventory.

The only trouble I've had is with 3" sanding discs on the lathe, and that is when I got it too hot too many times. You can actually melt the hooks. Did the hooks or loops fail, or did the abrasive seperate from the loops?

It just lost its grip from the Velcro. Didn’t seem to come apart and the Velcro is actually brand new on the wood master.

5. Yes, any pressure sensitive adhesive can go bad with time. The Velcro is hook and loop that wouldn't fail unless the plastic failed. It can weekend with repeated use depending on the hook and/or loop combo (there are about 100 different hooks). I would guess the adhesive lamination of the loop to the sandpaper has failed. You now have lots of hand sanding sheets.

Try spraying some 3M 99 on both sides to stick it back on.