Thread: Walker Turner Bandsaw

Walker Turner Bandsaw

I have a 1150 WT with a low speed gear box for metal sawing as well as wood. Need help determining what HP and speed I need to use. I think it should be 1/2 HP 1750 rpm. What do you guys think. Thank you.
    Last edited by joe marra; 04-05-2020 at 4:13 PM.

I restored an old Walker Turner bandsaw years ago. It was built very well. Although the bearings are impossible to find! I would not put a motor smaller than 1hp on that 16" saw. It will be under-powered for thicker wood cutting. To find out the speed of the original motor; go search for the specs on an old machinery website.
    Where did I put those band aids?

Where did I put those band aids?

Thanks, I think I'll go with a 1 hp. thank you

I have a 14" SUV saw with a 2 HP motor and I doubt I would ever own any bandsaw this big or bigger with a smaller motor. I do suppose that it you are not resawing 14 or 16" material a smaller one might suffice.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    You know it's an old manual when it gives a blade speed for cutting asbestos.

Thanks, all. Keep safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    I restored an old Walker Turner bandsaw years ago. It was built very well. Although the bearings are impossible to find! I would not put a motor smaller than 1hp on that 16" saw. It will be under-powered for thicker wood cutting. To find out the speed of the original motor; go search for the specs on an old machinery website.
    Dueane, I replaced all bearings, found all at local bearing house.

I have been using a 1.5 HP to resaw up to 9.5" which is all I can get in my saw. It's enough power, but not much to spare, and I feed very slowly. Since I only have to resaw quite small quantities and want to be as precise as I can it works fine to feed slowly, but if I was preparing turning blanks I would probably want to have more power.