Thread: Just a quick rehab..

Just a quick rehab..

Sifting through some of the "extras"...found an old Stanley Defiance chisel....

back needed flattened a bit better, had been badly hollow ground on the bevel....handle wasn't fitted right, and was loose..
    back is now as flat as can be...
    Rehab Chisel, flat back.JPG
    handle now fits, and is tight. Even sits straight..
    Hollow grind was done away with...then sharpened to 2500 grit, and then a clean strop..
    Rehab Chisel. sharpened.JPG
    25 degree, single flat bevel...
    Rehab Chisel, 1.5 in. wide.JPG
    1-1/2" wide. Stanley Defiance No. 1251...
    Ready to join the other "Wide Bodies"...
    Rehab Chisel, wide bodies.JPG
    ..guess I need to build a rack for these...next?

About...20 minutes of "drudgery", maybe?

Oh...BTW....I did the arm hair test....shaves as well as any straight razor. I might just get this sharpening thingy down pat, someday...

Hmmmm, maybe a bit too sharp? Just noticed a cut on my arm....that I never felt.

Hi Steven,

You got it rehabbed up pretty good if it is that sharp, so you did well on the rehab, but not so much, I don't think, on the sharpness test though.

Christopher Schwarz, in one of his books, wrote that he saw a guy do the "shave the arm" sharpness test, and slice his arm open. At that point Schwarz vowed never to do that test for sharpness ever again. So, you aren't the only one to do that.

Usually I sharpen something and then cut myself in some other way than the shave the arm test. I am not limited to cutting myself in just one way, nor am I limited to cutting myself with a method I have previously used, I can find new ways, I must be fairly inventive in that regard.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-06-2020 at 9:56 PM.