Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better brand of digital angle gauge

Better brand of digital angle gauge

I don't seem to have much luck with the Wixey brand digital angle gauge. My second one is junk and is displaying the same behavior as the first did years ago. The display usually either jumps erratically from nimber to number or stays stuck at "0."

It has been lightly used and never dropped and I learned from the first one to remove the battery in storage. I know I'm not the only person who feels that the life span is disappointing.

So do any of you have another brand you would recommend? I could spend more money if I felt I wouldn't need to keep repurchasing the tool.
    RD

I swear they are all made in the same factory in China. I personally am thinking of getting one of the Johnson brand versions. They seam to be more accurate and it's a name brand but most likely built in the same factory as the Wixley.

Blog Entries
    I have the Beall Tilt Box digital gauge and it remains accurate after more than 15 years. I uses a 9 volt battery which lasts a really long time. It is advertised as having an accuracy of .2 degrees.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-05-2020 at 6:43 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have the Beall Tilt Box digital gauge and it remains accurate after more than 15 years. I uses a 9 volt battery which lasts a really long time. It is advertised as having an accuracy of .2 degrees.
    Another vote for the Beall Tilt Box. I've had mine for years, never had a problem with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've been using the iGaging Angle Cubes here in the shop for several years now. They seem to work great and batteries last a long time.
    David

https://www.infinitytools.com/digital-angle-guide

igaging angle cube.jpg

Thanks to everyone for responding!
    Down to the Beall and the iGaging. I'm leaning towards the iGaging as the build looks more solid.

Richard.
    RD

Does anyone have the Wixley (or another brand) with bluetooth? I could see how it might be nice to be able to look at your phone when adjusting the angle of the blade vs looking at the actual gauge itself. Certainly not a deal breaker but for those of us with eyes that aren't as sharp it might be a worthwhile option.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Does anyone have the Wixley (or another brand) with bluetooth? I could see how it might be nice to be able to look at your phone when adjusting the angle of the blade vs looking at the actual gauge itself. Certainly not a deal breaker but for those of us with eyes that aren't as sharp it might be a worthwhile option.
    That’s a funny mental image. Seeing a guy tilting his saw blade and staring at his phone.

There's a thread about that...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How accurate are these things when they are working? For mainstay angles like 90 and 45, are they as accurate as a good square or miter square?

I feel like I could detect a .2 degree error with a machinist square. I know 1 degree is pretty obvious.

I'm curious because they seem like they would be handy. Certainly useful for oddball angles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    How accurate are these things when they are working? For mainstay angles like 90 and 45, are they as accurate as a good square or miter square?

I feel like I could detect a .2 degree error with a machinist square. I know 1 degree is pretty obvious.

I'm curious because they seem like they would be handy. Certainly useful for oddball angles.
    So how does your machinist square measure a 35.5 degree bevel angle that I needed to cut for a project I did this past weekend on my table saw? My Beall gauge did it as I changed the blade angle with the hand crank.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    So how does your machinist square measure a 35.5 degree bevel angle that I needed to cut for a project I did this past weekend on my table saw? My Beall gauge did it as I changed the blade angle with the hand crank.
    I know they are handy for oddball angles. I can get those angles with a protractor and bevel gauge, though it involves getting down on a knee and squinting, and the digital gauge would eliminate that. It would also be nice to verify 90 and 45 for critical cuts since I have reservations about trusting the stops. My question basically is if you set the blade to 90.0 with digital gauge and then verify with a good square how close is it? Dead on always, dead on sometimes, or never quite on?
    Last edited by Robert Hazelwood; 04-07-2020 at 9:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    I know they are handy for oddball angles. I can get those angles with a protractor and bevel gauge, though it involves getting down on a knee and squinting, and the digital gauge would eliminate that. It would also be nice to verify 90 and 45 for critical cuts since I have reservations about trusting the stops. My question basically is if you set the blade to 90.0 with digital gauge and then verify with a good square how close is it? Dead on always, dead on sometimes, or never quite on?
    I know that when cutting 45 degree bevels on pieces to be joined together I end up with no visible gaps in the joints when putting four pieces together to make a square.

To set an angle, I place the Tilt Box on the table, turn it on, let it settle and then zero the display. Then I move the Tilt box to the side of the blade, where it sticks with magnets. Then I turn the table saw tilt handle until the gauge reads 45 degrees. I make my cuts and repeat the process to get the blade back to 90 degrees relative to the table surface.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-07-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

iGaging does:
    http://www.igaging.com/page63.html
    RD