Thread: Spikey bench friend

Spikey bench friend

IMG_20200404_172852_792.jpg

IMG_20200404_172847_974.jpg

IMG_20200404_172844_085.jpg

I started using instagram recently. One of the people I follow is a Scandinavian woodworker. His bench stop looked unique so I asked for a few more photos. I thought it had some interesting merits. I don't plan to use one but it piqued my interest

Had some feedback on the device

"Those bench staples used to be more common. They were more often used by carpenters and added to a site bench when building a house. They also show up in China (very old there) and are called a “palm.”"

That's a very cool stop. Would be great for setting up a temporary workbench, but bet it would beaver through a shop-based bench in no time! Thanks for sharing.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Take a close look at the top of my bench, sometime.......and, I don't even use that thing....

Blog Entries
    They were more often used by carpenters and added to a site bench when building a house.
    Reminds me of a chapter in a book about a home builder from many years ago. One of the first things built on a home building site was sawhorses. Often when a home was complete the sawhorses were left behind.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Would be handy on saw horse. Saw horses built first so you could build the outhouse and then the plan shack. Only then could you start the house.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Would be handy on saw horse. Saw horses built first so you could build the outhouse and then the plan shack. Only then could you start the house.

What are you saying James? The out house was just a temporary plan shack.