Thread: Could use some help with laminating 4/4 stock to 8/4 for legs

Could use some help with laminating 4/4 stock to 8/4 for legs

I want to avoid the human contact and expense of a trip to the yard for 8/4. The legs don't need to be particularly strong but I would like to hide the glue line as much as possible and get good contact.

The stock I have is 2 pieces of 3/4" x 6" x 60" walnut which I put in clamps last night to try. It occurred to me that it would be better to over-cut the stock to the approximate 30" final length first then glue to have the same number of clamps on a smaller area. Or even cut close to the final 2" x 30" to get the best contact and do 4 glue-ups.

Another issue is whether I need to hand plane the faces which are now just off the yard's planer? I'm just going to replace the threaded rods with the shelves let into dadoes in the legs.
    IMG_4888.jpg

It sounds like you have already glued up the pieces? I don’t know if adding fluted veins to the legs fits with the aesthetic you are after, but that is one choice. Another would be to inlay a walnut or cherry strip. if you haven’t glued the boards up, you could resaw some thick vineer and wrap legs made of a secondary wood with 2” wide walnut strips with mitered corners.

Keep an eye on how the grain matches....work more towards that....and the glue lines will fail to show up...
    Shaker Table Project Post 3.JPG
    Tapered legs, made with glued up 3/4" thick Ash.

Rip leg stock twice as wide as you need, then rip again right down the exact center, rotate the two halves into the glue up, best grain out.
    Shaker Table Project, 4th leg tapered.JPG
    Tapered legs....

I would not remove the all-thread from the rack.

May I suggest a different approach, like cladding a column?

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/...ic.php?t=23301