Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self-centering bits

All of the smaller sizes will break. That is because the user is in a hurry and does several in a row quickly, overheating the bit. Snap! So go slow and take your time.

I found no difference between any of them, so I buy cheap POS.
    Regards,

Tom

I've owned a cheap set (General) for over thirty years. Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed.

"....Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed. "

--Bruce Wrenn

I have the same problem, but it's not only with self-centering bits!

Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/...ring-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Thomas Carpenter and Peter Kuhlman: you mentioned a need for small screw self-centering bits. How "small" is "small"? Snappy make one for a #4 (softwood) and a #2 screw (hardwood) with a 5/64" drill.

See: https://www.snappytools.com/product/...ring-hinge-bit

Would imperial or metric transfer punches work -- tap to mark the hole placement, then drill??? Looking on Amazon metric transfer punch sets start at 1.0 mm; imperial at 3/32"
    I have the 5/64 size and it makes too large of a hole for the small brass screws used for decorative trim and small hinges. Not sure what exactly I need - maybe 3/64”?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    "....Biggest problem is remembering where they are when needed. "

--Bruce Wrenn

I have the same problem, but it's not only with self-centering bits!
    Right now they are with my bottle Anti-Seize, and gear puller, neither of which could I find this afternoon.

cheap ones jam up .cheap ones have weak springs and tend not to return easy .i use them alot for door hardware installs .
    look for ones that have a strong return spring
    the ones with big allen screws holding the bit work better .best is one with two allens holding the bit tight .
    have extra bits for the small sizes ,they tend to snap off .

Right now they are with my bottle Anti-Seize, and gear puller, neither of which could I find this afternoon.
    Stuff like that moves to an alternate universe, along with missing socks. Only returns when you have bought replacements.