Thread: Face Masks?

Face Masks?

Of course, I've been looking for some ligit, cloth face masks. I've seen some black, neoprene looking masks with loop ears and a seam running down the center. I know they're not N95, but that's ok as long as they offer some protection. With so many China made masks on Amazon, with delivery way out there, I was hoping to find something US made, with a closer delivery date. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Of course, I've been looking for some ligit, cloth face masks. I've seen some black, neoprene looking masks with loop ears and a seam running down the center. I know they're not N95, but that's ok as long as they offer some protection. With so many China made masks on Amazon, with delivery way out there, I was hoping to find something US made, with a closer delivery date. Thanks for the help.
    'https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-QTY-Fast-shipping-Mouth-N-Now-95-US-STOCK-High-Quality-US-IN-STOCK/383491078000?hash=item5949d97770:m:my9Hgzb_e241cJa 7lpY7pKQ
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-05-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: removed direct link to auction site

google bandana face mask. You need a bandana and (2) elastic hair ties. very simple and most people have this at home.

I can't take two steps without stumbling across a lightly used N95 mask. If I had only known.$$$

Penguin & Fish, according to dearly beloved, has a pattern. This is a quilters site. Dearly Beloved made a couple of masks yesterday and plans to make more for a nursing friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1di1c9q9CvA
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-05-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: removed advertising

The packaging should note if N95 or N100 both of which offer protection for you. Health care and public safety are currently prioritized recipients and their is now domestic and international competition for them.

The homemade products may reduce your risk of exposure but not likely to be protective. They are being recommended now to reduce transmission from asymptomatic carriers. They also provide the benefit of keeping your hands away from your mouth and nose.

My pulmonologist and his staff were wearing N95 masks when I visited last week although they were not properly strapped to their faces. One strap goes above the ear and the other below the ear.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Check out this ladies video to make a mask with a replacable filter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbeloN2lMvg

If you are looking for a reusable mask for the shop, I've been enjoying the RZ product. Of course, a lot of that kind of thing got hoarded up from online sources as of late.

If you're looking for a mask to use while you are out and about in this difficult time, there is a thread in OT that even has some pointers to patterns/videos. It would be best to keep that particular topic there rather than here in the woodworking area since it's "off topic"
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just got an RZ mask and like it, too. However, because there's no head strap, I do find it sliding down on my face quite a bit. I've tried pinching the metal nose thingy to tighten it up but it gets uncomfortable if I pinch it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I can't take two steps without stumbling across a lightly used N95 mask. If I had only known.$$$
    NO JOKE: I was driving home the other day and saw an N95 mask sitting on the median. Whipped around and picked it up. In good shape. Disinfected it and it's now my "backup N95". I would have laughed at the thought a month ago.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Don’t.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...55/core-reader

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I read the linked article from 2013. The conclusion states homemade masks should be a last resort if commercial masks are not available, but don't expect them to be as effective as surgical masks. I don't know how available N95 masks are in Perth, but in my area of Germany, none are available for the consumer. Since I have a sewing machine, and know how to use it, I made masks using material that was available to me.

Here are the external cotton layers, a lightweight felt inner layer, wire for the nose bridge, and two pieces of elastic for the ear loops.

Here is the finished mask I made for my wife. She told me the mask was comfortable and it made a reasonable seal on her face.

Edit: Here's a mask I made for me.

Mask.jpg

The University of Florida Department of Anesthesiology has an article showing how to use Halyard H600 medical fabric to make reusable (if an autoclave is available) masks, with Prototype 2 being the preferred design. As with all homemade masks, the UF mask is not a replacement for a surgical mask, but I would not hesitate to use it if it was available.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 04-14-2020 at 3:39 PM.

Just keep in mind that these cloth masks are primarily to protect "the other guy" if you happen to be asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic as they reduce your ability to spew forth the virus in your breath. Yes, they don't filter as well as a purpose built mask would, but given that the supply of such things is non-existent for the "average Joe/Jane", the cloth masks are at least a reasonable accommodation to protect others should you be infected...and them wearing theirs helps reduce them from potentially exposing you if they have the virus.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...