Thread: Storage under Table Saw Extension

Storage under Table Saw Extension

I got tired of storing my table saw blades and accessories in various places all around the shop so I decided (finally) to build some storage to go under the table extension. One thing that helped set me on that path was replacing my old broken Delta mobile base with a new Bora Portamate model that had an extension for the outer pair of legs.

The before picture (note - it usually isn't empty under there but I cleaned out all the junk to make room for the storage unit):

IMG_0874.jpg

The after picture:

IMG_0875.jpg

The open shelf at the top is for miscellaneous stuff that I grab for all the time, like push sticks. The trays on the right hold all my saw blades (wow - didn't realize I had that many). The small drawer below the blade trays is for my dado set which comes in its own box. The other drawers are for everything else that's TS-related. Just finished it this afternoon so I haven't loaded it up yet.

Saw blade trays:

IMG_0876.jpg

One more note. I had to leave a 6" gap between the right side of the saw cabinet and the left side of my new unit as that is where the tilt wheel of the saw is. Likely I will find something to store in that space too.

Very Nice. Well done.

Like it a lot
    Nice work
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Nice rig. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Really nice. Did you make the trays or did you get them that way?

I have got to do something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Costa View Post
    Really nice. Did you make the trays or did you get them that way?
    Thanks, Pete, and all the others who have commented.

I considered making trays but I bought these: https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-blade-protectors. The 10" size are square with a tab so they work nicely. They appear to be the same as these from Rockler: https://www.rockler.com/table-saw-blade-holder and these from Big Horn: https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-1917...977172&sr=8-11. These come with a wing screw and washer to hold the blade in securely if you were to hang the tray by its tab, but I didn't use it. With the tray held horizontal in the slots there's no need to secure the blade in place. I can probably use those wing screws in jigs. Infinity Tools also sells a plan for a similar blade holder box which provided the dimensions I needed while waiting for the trays to arrive.

I saw several designs for shop-made trays. Usually these involves routing a 10" diameter recess in a square or rectangular piece of plywood or cutting out a 10" circle from one piece of thin plywood and then laminating it to another thin piece. Either of those might have been doable with a CNC but I don't have one (nor the space for one). If I did make my own, I would have just used some 1/4" plywood for a base and applied some straight strips of wood in a square pattern to enclose the blade.

One advantage of making your own is that you can make the bases in 3 or 4 versions with file-folder style tabs for easy labeling. I'll probably make up some paper labels for the front edge of these plastic trays.

Nice ... this is on my never ending shop upgrade list!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I built something similar for my PCS. I wanted it higher than it would be on a normal base so I built one and incorporated several drawers for blades including dado and other stuff. I put a shelf on it like you have that I use for the rip fence when I am using a sled. I store the sled in the open area close to the angle adjustment wheel. I also have a large wood square there and a lunch tray I clean blades on.

Yours looks really nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is nicely done, Mark. A question on your mobil base. Do you find the wheels get in the way when you are at the saw? Would that base allow them to be swung to the side and give you a clean face to work from? I ask because when I built the rolling base for my old Uni I mounted wheels on the front and managed to trip myself up at the saw once. I remodeled and was happier with the result.

Actually, Jack, that hasn't been a problem yet. And my feet are very prone to finding things to trip over. I could have configures the locking wheels to be at the left end of the saw, with the levers facing left, but the dust collection takeoff is right there and would have interfered with stepping on one of the levers.

Great idea I have the same space on my Unisaw.