Thread: +Problem with Chuck Key on Delta 14-651 Hollow Chisel Mortiseer

+Problem with Chuck Key on Delta 14-651 Hollow Chisel Mortiseer

Hey all,

I have the Delta Hollow Chisel Mortiser Part # 14-651 #2). I seem to have lost the chuck key, and I have tried finding one that fits to no avail. I believe there is a thread on here from someone with exactly the same issue.

My question however is if anyone can think of a way to tighten one bit in the chuck to do a bunch of 1/4" mortises that I am needing to cut. Its really hard to get my fingers into the access windows of the chuck on the mortiser. Plus, I have to work in red oak, and it isn't exactly hand tool friendly. I ciould use one of you engineering genuises to suggest a method.

I have a chuck I got from Grizzly that I thought would fit, - it is for a 3/8 chuck, but the guide knob on the end (not the spring fed pin, but the larger guide knob that sits proud of the gears and goes into the hole on the drill chuck, is too large. I am thinking of trying to grind that down. It is likely hardened steel, but I can throw it in a set of vise-grips and wail away on it at the grinder. That might work. The gears look like they will line up IF I can get the knob into the hole (no off color comments please! ). I also have a smaller chuck key that fits into the hole, but the gears are too small to contact the mating gears. I don't imagine there is a way to disassemble a chuck key - eh?

Well - I figured I would throw this out there while we all are driving oursellves nuts with cabin fever. Please stay safe. If anyone out there has lost someone, my condolences. These are very frightening times.

Thanik you in advance for any help.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 04-03-2020 at 9:01 PM.

If you have an old Phillips, and old straight blade screwdrivers, hold the phillips in the hole, and use the straight bladed one in the gears, and lever off the philips. I said "old" screwdrivers, because I wouldn't do it with good ones. You can actually bend the outside of the chuck with this method, because there is a Lot more leverage than with a chuck key, so don't get heavy handed with this method.

$23.47 plus shipping, and you're good to go.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/de...278_14003.html

Hey, looks like they are making them again. They used to only be found on the same shelf with unicorn hair and unobtainium.

I had lost mine for a while. I ended up swapping out a different chuck that I had a key for. The standard key fit, but just barely, not a lot of clearance there. I seem to remember that it is a standard 3/8-24 chuck. The pinion gear is very close to the chuck though, so you are limited in chuck diameter. I have the Jet version of that mortiser as well. The chuck looks like it is too big to fit the Delta.