Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on best way to mount electrical outlet next to table saw

Need advice on best way to mount electrical outlet next to table saw

I ran 2" conduit under my slab and have run my 110 and 220 wires through the conduit. My original "plan" was to use a type of anchor to mount a 3 foot 4x4 and run conduit up the 4x4 to a box. But I"m concerned that will be a bit wobbly. So I thought about simply using conduit and having it much closer to the floor -- like 4-6 inches off the floor. it will be a double gang box with 110 and 220 both in the box.

Any good ideas on how to mount that so it's not too shaky/wobbly?

Thanks!

I'd use Unistrut anchored to the floor with wedge anchors if your floor is concrete. You can buy pre made bases for the Unistrut that look like a U channel welded to a square base that's pre drilled for the wedge anchors. Then you bolt a length of strut to the base and mount your conduit and box to the strut. Electricians do it all the time at work and it looks good and is sturdy.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Or just use a pillar box. Maybe lay a piece of 4x6 flat under it to raise it up some. Or a marine dock side unit.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Or just use a pillar box. Maybe lay a piece of 4x6 flat under it to raise it up some. Or a marine dock side unit.
    Bil lD.
    Can you explain your optoins a bit more? WHat is a pillar box? How would you see laying a 4x6 under it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    I'd use Unistrut anchored to the floor with wedge anchors if your floor is concrete. You can buy pre made bases for the Unistrut that look like a U channel welded to a square base that's pre drilled for the wedge anchors. Then you bolt a length of strut to the base and mount your conduit and box to the strut. Electricians do it all the time at work and it looks good and is sturdy.
    I like the thought of that. My local Lowes and Home Depot have superstrut which appears to be about the same thing. Im' going over now to see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bil lD.
    Bill, could you expand on pillar box or marine options? I’ve been looking for a solution for floor receptacle other than a flush mount. So far all I’ve found is a Wiremold doghouse or tombstone style 525 but not sure if it could be modified for bigger 240v circuits.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=402288.

What do you think about just sticking the box on the conduit down very close to the floor? The shorter the conduit, the less bend and flexibility?

As long as you don't mind doing your daily calisthenics every time you plug or unplug something.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Anything with marine in the name is about 10 times the cost of normal stuff. look at what builders use to get power to new home job sites from undeground power lines or mobile home power set ups. You could get a length of 6x6 square iron tube. Drill/cut a few outlet cutouts in the side weld internal tabs on the bottom for anchor bolts. slip on a wood cap. My brother bought a house with 3" pipe welded patio frame with wood roof. previous owner was ship welder. He welded on flat plates with the holes cut to mount outlets. He notched the pipes and sort of flushwelded them on
    i would set 3" steel pipe into the concrete before pouring or weld a flat plate on bottom and anchor bolt it vertical. Make it about waist high. Drill 2-3 holes to clear 1/2 and 3/4 pipe. Them center a metal electrical box over the holes and drill/tap the pipe for mounting screws of say 1/4" diameter. Easy to drill the holes on the drill press before assembly. easy enough to plug unused holes.
    Or glue up a 4x4 and a 2x4 after routing a wire run down the 4x4. Then mount the glued together piece using a simpson post base of some sort.
    Bil lD.
    look at how mail boxes are mounted to existing concrete sidewalk and curbs to get ideas..

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/produ...pedestals.html

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pad-Mount-Pedestal-with-50-Amp-and-30-Amp-RV-Receptacles-and-20-Amp-GFCI-Receptacle-GE1LU532PS/300325107?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_8_CIRCUIT_PROTECT_DEVICES-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D27E-G-D27E-27_8_CIRCUIT_PROTECT_DEVICES-NA-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA--71700000034238981-58700003943782709-92700048672399173&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv5C3w-LP6AIVTj0MCh2p9wdfEAQYBSABEgKUa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Architectur...x-Post/3031479

https://www.dockboxes.com/power-pede...iAAEgIRLfD_BwE

I wonder what elctric car charging station use?
    i just realized an I beam or angle iron would be easier to run the cables in and still be protected pretty well.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-04-2020 at 6:23 PM.

I don't think the code allows for conduit to be only support for outlet boxes.

Jon, I looked up the link that you posted - just out of curiosity, I don't need one. Here is part of the description:

"Also known as: 786564015079, 525, toe stubber, WMD505HB, WMD525HB, Wiremold, 525HB, Floor Box - Service Fittings, Floor Box - Accessories, Boxes - Recessed, Boxes, Enclosures, dog house, doghouse"

Toe stubber!

Reggie when I built my shop I ran conduit under my slab out to two locations in the open area of my floor just like you are talking about. My electrician used RV pedestals to Mount the receptacles. Works awesome. I have one with my sliding saw and cabinet saw on it as well as two 120v plugs. The other one currently powers my planer and also has two 120v circuits for extension cords or whatever. I installed the pedestals with drill in anchor bolts after drilling holes with a SDS hammer drill.

How do the wires come thru the slab?

I think you need to have the 120 volts and 240 volts in separate boxes, not sure about the rules on mixed voltages in conduit.

I didn't worry about separate boxes. Probably should have but the building doesn't meet code in other respects already.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    How do the wires come thru the slab?

I think you need to have the 120 volts and 240 volts in separate boxes, not sure about the rules on mixed voltages in conduit.
    No you don't.