Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody watch " The Pianist? "

Blog Entries

Anybody watch " The Pianist? "

Anybody else watch " The Pianist? " Makes it seem like what we're going through is a walk in the park..
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Anybody else watch " The Pianist? " Makes it seem like what we're going through is a walk in the park..
    The late stages of WWII in Europe are of a different character than what we're going through now.

Phenomenal movie. Schindlers list is one of my all time favorites and most hated (loved)... saving plPrivate Ryan,... and the end all be all is Band of Brothers...

People today have no clue as to how hard it could be and it was harder before that.

But I grew up in a.generation where the movie The Holocaust was on every year right along with all the standard Christian fare.

Blog Entries

Question

I enjoy movies which really help to understand what people of the time truly suffered and truly witnessed. My grandfather fought from D-Day +3 until the end of the war in the west then was sent to the Philippines to prepare for an invasion of mainland Japan, which luckily did not need to happen. My grandfather was a mortar-man. He fought also with the 86th infantry (Blackhawks) and participated in the liberation of Attendorn labor camp.

Such an excellent movie, made more real in that the director suffered the experience in his childhood and such effort is put in to making it very accurate.

WRT WWII movies, I found ‘Downfall’ among the best, Bruno Ganz plays the role very well. It’s in German so if you may need to read subtitles but it is quite worth it. It doesn’t depict much of the fighting, it’s not the focus of the movie. Rather it depicts the political leadership, off the rails and suffering its demise. I like that it does not appear to put a spin on things but works to simply show them as the unfolded. The reality of the situation is so extreme I’ve never quite understood why efforts are made to further sensationalize it, so I’m glad that this movie does not do so.

Ive yet to see anything that depicts the Eastern Front very well, most of the movies that give it a shot seem to do it a disservice. I’ve watched Russian, German and American productions of it and no one seems capable of doing a decent job of it.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-05-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Is anybody aware of any serious films about life in America during WWII showing what folks “back home” went through? I can’t think of any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Is anybody aware of any serious films about life in America during WWII showing what folks “back home” went through? I can’t think of any.
    American film _during_ the war was dedicated to patriotic support of the cause, and the negative aspects of it were informally "strongly discouraged". The most moving picture of the _immediate_ aftermath of it, when people could talk more freely, was "The Best Years of our Lives" (1946, also won Best Picture.) The mood was still _very_ fresh. And still a classic.

Most of the post WW2 films are a little too real. Man and wife in kitchen, he sees her picking up a large knife. He tackles
    her and throws the knife. She says "It's me! it's ME! " He says " Sorry Baby, It's gonna take me some time to adjust ".
    Director yells : BIGGER !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Most of the post WW2 films are a little too real. Man and wife in kitchen, he sees her picking up a large knife. He tackles
    her and throws the knife. She says "It's me! it's ME! " He says " Sorry Baby, It's gonna take me some time to adjust ".
    Director yells : BIGGER !!

You ok Mel? Thats an odd one? lol...

Yeah. Thanks Mark. Hey,that's what some of the films were like. Wish I could think of the name of one ,but it really was
    a standard type scene for that " John - Ruh". Really not so strange when you look up the the holding and confining of
    some of the guerilla type fighters to get them readjusted to "society" before sending them back.

Mark, I started to do new thread but the whole thing is on films. Will trust the shuffling judgements to the Mods.
    Many years ago when I saw "The Searchers" ,I didn't get it. For anyone who hasn't seen it , it's a western. Young girl is
    captured by Indians. John Wayne is ,I think, her uncle . He sets out with a couple other "good men" to find her. Along the
    way there is a lot of "kil'n an di-en " but they find her safe and bring her home. There is ,of course ,a big celebration.
    but John Wayne is not circulating and accepting back slaps . Finally he just rides off without saying good bye to any one.
    Didnt seem to make sense. Some critics describe his leaving as a man who has done and seen so much killing that he is
    so changed he knows he never going to adjust to "polite society". So the film makers used that stuff for a long time.The
    Searchers was 1957 when the film people thought WW2 was running out of steam they just moved some of the
    themes to different costumes.

...just framed in the doorway; not part of society anymore. A truly classic scene.

Blog Entries
    In a general ‘war movies’ sense, I’ve enjoyed; Das Boot, Paths of Glory, When Trumpets Fade and Thin Red Line. Looking forward to seeing 1917,

For the history buffs; Dan Carlin’s ‘Ghosts of the Osfront’ about the Eastern Front WWII and ‘Blueprint for Armageddon‘ are just superb. Dan Carlin’s podcasts are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    In a general ‘war movies’ sense, I’ve enjoyed; Das Boot, Paths of Glory, When Trumpets Fade and Thin Red Line. Looking forward to seeing 1917,

For the history buffs; Dan Carlin’s ‘Ghosts of the Osfront’ about the Eastern Front WWII and ‘Blueprint for Armageddon‘ are just superb. Dan Carlin’s podcasts are incredible.
    For anyone interested in the Deep Human Element of what happened on the ground in WWII, I would recommend any book by Max Hastings on the subject, particularly Inferno, and Armageddon (for the ETO).

Blog Entries
    I’ll have a look, Doug. Thank you! Just finished 1917, incredibly shot.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-06-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Had a distant conversation with the parents of an 18 year old young man. While dad was concerned about whether his son was going be be able to go to college football games at Texas A&M (their alma mater) in the fall when the usually self-absorbed mother chimed in... “There will be disappointments but I am thankful we don’t have to worry about him getting drafted and going off to war.” Made me think that some of the most vulnerable right now, those in their 70s, 80s and 90s, have seen some pretty tough times.

I remember when “Platoon” was released and how it garnered a lot of press for how it dealt with the common soldier in Vietnam. My wife and I have talked about it recently and we plan on watching it again.