Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial Indicators

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dial Indicators

Hi,

I am looking for opinions on which dial indicator to purchase. I am curious what models everyone else is using out there.

Thanks,

-Chris

I'm a machinist by trade so i've got several different brands but for woodworking, look for something with 1" of travel and $20 price range

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I use some pretty expensive Starrett's at work but I agree with Brian...cheaper models would work great for the WW shop!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Same here I like the black faced ones I think there easier to read.

Thumbs up This Is The One I Use

Believe it or not, the Harbor Freight 00623 1" Dial Indicator is very accurate. When its on sale it can usually be had for around $7.

I have the harbor freight model that runs on sale for around $15. It is a quality tool. Sorry. Not sure of the model number

I have seen an opinion or two that recommend against dial indicators in WW shops. The thinking being that the dust will compromise the gear trains in the dials sooner or later. Anyone have a thought on this??

Randy, there is probably some truth to it, but most of even the cheapies are fairly well sealed. I've used a 2" one of the cheap variety for four years on my rounter table fence. Not a glitch so far. And it stays exposed all the time.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    I have seen an opinion or two that recommend against dial indicators in WW shops. The thinking being that the dust will compromise the gear trains in the dials sooner or later. Anyone have a thought on this??

I only use the for setting up Planer knives, Jointer, table saw,etc. Then put them back in the box. Yes they are fragile, But for doing these sort of operation there invaluable.I quess it's the machinist in me. I feel it's alot easier to use a indicator and know were the knives are then trying to do it buy feel.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    I killed a pair of dial calipers in my shop due to wood dust. They lasted about 3 years. I switched to digital. I only use the dial indicator for set up and checking set up so it should last as long as I do.

The most accurate dial indicator I've seen are teh digital ones made by Mitotoyo. They run about $500 each. A bit pricey for my shop.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Mike,

Depending on where you're located, there might be a metal supply place locally. If not, check out Enco - they have good prices on drill rod which is what I typically use since I've got it around.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRAR?PMSECT=0000000750

Wes

Chris,
    check out this link...
    http://www.wixey.com/index.html

Machinist tools and digital readout

Chris,
    I am also a toolmaker. The woodworking environment is no problem for most machinist type tools. It just takes a little common sense. These tools are used in shops where there is grinding dust, machining coolant, metal chips all over. Keep the tools in a drawer or box until you need them then put them away. Wipe them off with a clean rag if you get anything on them.
    The Wixley digital tablesaw readout looked good until I read the specs.
    With an accuracy of plus or minus .005" per foot you could be off as much as 1/64 in just over 36". That's about as wide as I like to rip on my saw. That's not accurate enough for close work. You can get that close by using the scale on your fence.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    Brian

bar stock for accuracy check

Ok, I have magnetic base dial indicator on order... now where do I purchase a piece of round bar stock to check the run out on my Delta 16 1/2 " drill press? I suspect the chuck is out of wack.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Monroe
    where do I purchase a piece of round bar stock to check the run out on my Delta 16 1/2 " drill press?
    Woodcraft sells a "Centering Bit" for this purpose.