Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax c410 elite

Minimax c410 elite

Saw a C410 elite, 2007 model, for sale at $8500. Is this a good deal for a 13 year old machine? Sorry my title said C310, dang auto correct! (fixed title - Moderator)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-05-2020 at 5:42 PM.

Site unseen guess; If it's in a hobby shop with almost no hours on it, then still a little high. But if it's in a commercial shop, then way too high. Used machinery prices are dropping like a rock around me. Definitely a buyer's market.

Since a new one would cost you $25,000 , I'd say they are in the right ballpark.

Condition on is key though. If it was rode hard and put up wet , and now needs bearings and adjustments ect... the resulting hassle might not be worth any discounted price.

Another way to gauge it is to see how much you'd spend on a quality 12-16" jointer, planer , along with a 3hp shaper and a 10-12" cabinet saw.

It's a good price IF:
    1. It's in good/great condition, needs not major repairs, in other words plug it in and use it. May need alignment after moving.
    2. It's what you want/need.
    3. You are aware and committed to using a combination machine. I do have a CU300 and I love it.

That is a great machine. At that price, if it met the above criteria I would try to negotiate a lower price but I would pay that if I had to. Good luck

Great machine but I'd factor in some money to get it to your place. The CU410e weighs somewhere around 2,450 lbs so you'd be best off having a machinery rigging company move it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Great machine but I'd factor in some money to get it to your place. The CU410e weighs somewhere around 2,450 lbs so you'd be best off having a machinery rigging company move it.
    Thanks all. I think I’ll pass. I’m not qualified to know good from bad on this kind of equipment

If you do your homework, learn about machines, shipping, some rehab, you can really find great machines for a fraction of new. A 13 year old machine, absent electronics, will usually be a better build than new of the same model. Dave

Seems like a pretty solid deal to me, maybe a bit of room in the price. Did he have accessories? Shaper tooling? Blades?

I think ive only ever seen one of the 5 function combo machines from a pro shop. Not to generalize, but that is almost always a white collar guy that is selling those machines. Once again, not to stereotype(im one of those guys), but the machines usually dont see a ton of use. I purchased my mid 2000s KF700 from a doctor moving to florida. I doubt the machine saw much use, and it has been a great tool for me. I am not as familiar with SCMI or Minimax, but the elite models should be pretty good builds. Definitely more than up to the challenge of a decade of hobbyist work. I love used machines, but they arent for everyone.

I think its less of wether its a pro shop and more the number of people working there. Ive bought two SCM Combos from old germans with 2 or 3 people in the shop. They also show up at auctions id say about five times over the years so not too many, one or two were brought in which can be a concern. Is minimax the lighter version of SCM. My perception without looking close at them.

I tend to focus on what stuff weighs to start. Yeah used are each their own story. Ones i mentioned and a few others you can count on being excellent and complete because of who they came from.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-04-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    If you do your homework, learn about machines, shipping, some rehab, you can really find great machines for a fraction of new. A 13 year old machine, absent electronics, will usually be a better build than new of the same model. Dave
    Oh yeah, electronics on a Minimax will get your attention. The stacked switch on my 1997 Minimax combo sold as a Euro Shop from Eagle Machinery was quoted as costing $450. A great friend of mine did some reverse engineering and we got a $30 switch off Ebay to get it going. It took a couple of days of effort and has a slightly different sequence, but works.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 04-03-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    Thanks all. I think I’ll pass. I’m not qualified to know good from bad on this kind of equipment
    Not trying to dissuade you, that machine is excellent and I'd certainly explore the possibility of obtaining if it's in good shape and single phase. Might be able to get it for a steal these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hardin View Post
    Sorry my title said C310, dang auto correct!
    You can edit your posts, including the title for 24 hours after posting. To edit the title use the "Go advanced" button on the edit page in full site mode.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Hey Folks,

I have been following this thread a bit, and I have a question. I would like to consider a 2nd hand jointer - maybe an 8" Powermatic w Shelix heads or something similar. I only have single phase 220 in my shop, so one of the older 3 phase beasts would need to be a great deal to support buying the electrical setup necessary. So my question - where do you all shop for used machines? Outside of Craigslist, a very shaky platfoprm, I don't know of a used equipment dealer. I am in the SF Bay area, so its not like I am very isolated. I understand the shopping issue, I just can't find a place that offers machines in this area, or even nationally. Would you post urls to some of the sites you are discussing here? Does that violate the user policy? I don't imagine it would.

would reeally appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Joe, might want to make your own thread, but I actually find Craigslist to be one of the best platforms. Facebook marketplace is also ok. I think I’ve purchased something like 23 used freestanding tools off craigslist. That isn’t including all the festool, chisels, hand planes, you name it. Everyone seems to search amazon first these days. For me, it’s Craigslist all day long.

On top of Craigslist, this site has a marketplace that has great deals every once in awhile. Woodweb if you like industrial level machines, eBay might surprise you every once in awhile. Festool owners group used to have a classifieds section that was good. Search around enough and you will find the machines you want.

Craigslist all the way. Get the official app for your phone, works well.