Thread: Sewing Creeker style

Blog Entries

Sewing Creeker style

Blog Entries
    oops, can't paste an image on an iPad.
    CreekerSewing.jpg

The sewing machine rattled the rickety table I had it on. Cast iron saw bed was muuuch better.

A stout looking sewing machine. For upholstery work?

Blog Entries
    It’s a Sailrite semi industrial. It’ll go through pretty much anything you can cram under the presser foot. My other machine is a ‘70s vintage Montgomery Wards and the backstitch stopped working. I was going to have todo something and I wanted something that would do leather. It just seemed like everything I wanted sew was right athe capacity of that old machine. So the bride got me this beast. I’m really looking forward to sewing the seats for some Roorkee chairs.

I remember when they came out with those. The first ones looked a bit different than that one. My BIL, who is a cruiser, has one of the first ones in his boat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I remember when they came out with those. The first ones looked a bit different than that one. My BIL, who is a cruiser, has one of the first ones in his boat.
    im new to Sailrite and to this class of machine. I was impressed that the machine is so simple. Mine does only straight and zig-zag which is all I need. I was impressed with all the tutorials they offer for all sorts of projects. I was impressed that the machine is designed to be repaired and adjusted by the user.

It’s still a family run company where final assembly and adjustment is done at the last in Indiana.

Some might not know that, with that machine, you can sew with the hand crank if there is no electricity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Some might not know that, with that machine, you can sew with the hand crank if there is no electricity.
    There you go! I’m all set for the apocalypse. I’m used to using the wheel to raise the needle to get the fabric out. Never thought of just sewing that way. That wheel is a beast at 7lbs. I guess it helps power through heavy stuff because the motor doesn’t seem like anything special. It may be geared more for torque than speed. All I know is that the machine doesn’t flinch at 9 layers of scrap denim from some old jeans.

We have a couple of industrial sewing machines, for canvas, and sail work. They come in handy for other stuff too.

One, we bought at auction from a place that made cargo parachutes for the military. It was originally a high speed machine, built for the Army, for making tents. It had been geared down, with a much larger wheel, that slowed it down to a little slower than a normal machine. They had been using it to box stitch multiple layers of heavy nylon webbing, where the pieces cross in the cargo nets. It'll sew through anything you put under the foot, without slowing down.

I ordered a manual for it, off ebay, and in the back, it tells how to disable it with a hammer, if you're being overrun by the enemy.

Blog Entries
    Ha! I guess I’m just naive. I would have never thought of disabling a lowly sewing machine. Encryption devices and other hi-tech, yes. But once you mentioned it, it makes sense.

Great, now I have sewing machine envy.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Dude, that's a creative way to solve the stability problem and not sew your fingers into the mask because the machine is bouncing around!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...