Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make a molding..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post
    Sorry if this is sounds naive but I always wondered, to do the initial marking on the end grain, do you just take the iron out and draw a line arount it?
    If you are planing to use several irons next to each other it must be tricky to draw accurately.
    It depends on what one has on hand. For simple moldings it is easy to lay it out in one's mind. For more involved moldings it helps to have a few helpers. Various radius guides come in handy:

Radius Guides.jpg

One has to consider what planes are on hand to be used in designing a molding cut.

Sometimes it is just serendipity:

Molding End View.jpg

This was just having fun one afternoon. The profiles were cut using a pair of Stanley #45 planes. One with a beading blade and the other with a fluting blade. They were cut on the edge of 1X fir using various positions of the bead & cove element, then the molding was ripped from the board.

Once one starts making molding, it is easy to save a piece of scrap molding to use for layout in the future or one can also make a template to lay out any molding used regularly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I wish the Veritas Combination Plane had coves and beads. I have considered grinding some but then I look at router table and pick up the ear muffs.
    There are fluting blades available > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...bination-plane

These can be used to cut a cove.

There are also beading blades > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...bination-plane

It seems there is a current glitch on the site.

They also have reeding blades > https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...bination-plane

For making more than one bead at a time.

The blades for the Stanley #45 can also be made to work in the Veritas Combination Plane.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-03-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Steven,

Thanks for explaining how you convinced the Stanley 45 to make the cove. Good post.

Jim,

Thanks for the links. I had forgotten about the one on blind nailing. I saw that I commented on it back then, but now I remember seeing one of the blind nailers back in a tool catalog, I think. It may have not been there, could have been someplace else, but I believe I saw one in a tool catalog back in the 1970s or 80s.

Both of you,

Thanks for the tutorials. Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to the time when I have time and place to do some of the same things. Right now i am restoring, sharpening, and figuring storage for tools. Mostly though, I go to work and when home from work do carpentry on the place. Last two jobs were rebuilding over 200 feet of old cedar fence by salvaging pickets from fences folks have torn down and then rebuilding our deck. I have about 70 feet more of a different type of fence to rebuild, but hopefully it won't be as time consuming.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-03-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    I remember seeing one of the blind nailers back in a tool catalog, I think. It may have not been there, could have been someplace else, but I believe I saw one in a tool catalog back in the 1970s or 80s.
    Lee Valley had one in their catalog until a few years ago.

Veritas Blind Nailer.jpg

There is one in a drawer in my shop.

jtk