Thread: Filler for small imperfections

Filler for small imperfections

I am using poplar for the first time.it is going to be painted my question I had some glue squeeze out and after it dried I scraped the dried glue.it actually pulled wood fibers and left small hollows.what is the best filler for these small imperfections.thanks.

Blog Entries
    Pretty much any of the wood fillers that dry hard and can be sanded can be used if the surface will always be painted.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like Timbermate a lot. Water based. Easy to use. can add water if it ever is left open....comes back to normal. It comes in a variety of colors and can be intermixed and tinted with dye.
    Test a spot(on another piece of wood) after it dries finish regimen and make sure you are getting the expected end result.
    https://www.woodworkingshop.com/sear...te+wood+filler
    Jim

For painted projects I like Durhams rock hard water putty. It’s a powder you mix with water to whatever consistency you need.
    Never goes bad.

painted how? if its an old thing its one thing if its clinical like a sprayed kitchen then you want what will shrink the least down the road. Enough times ive seen low level filler on someones work cause its shrunk back. Likely cheap or wrong auto body filler in those cases and on painted commercial work.

This is a new build very small shallows.like I said going to be painted that’s what I am worried about shrinking after being painted.thanks for reply’s.

Timbermate :-)

Jim if I did a thicker antiqued type of finish it would not be a concern. What was on my mind and I didnt say is what you use for filler and what you use for top coats. Stuff can activate what is below so id be looking at that if you intend a clinical finish. Ive seen automotive as well where some chemical in a higher up coat has reactivated what is below. Im not up on all the latest fillers. Not needed too often.

I'm wondering about doing wet sanding with a finish such as poly, shellac, lacquer or even CA (use gloves, googles, respirator/fan and caution). For the last one, I've heard of people sanding with CA to make a quick filler for tear-out. I've done wet sanding with each and they all seemed to work pretty well. The CA doesn't work very well for larger areas.

But I'd think that most fillers would also work fine. You have a lot of flexibility since you're going to be painting later.

Thanks everyone picked up some Timbermate at woodcraft curbside pickup.will give it a try on some scraps.