Thread: Poll on laser experience and your first laser used

Poll on laser experience and your first laser used

I'll start. One of the employees at company I worked wanted to go on vacation, and I was chosen to be his backup. So he showed be the ropes. That was in 1997, and it was a ULS laser. I don't remember the model. I do remember it was onr of the first ulslasers that had motorized up and down Z axis instead of a knob. Guess I was hooked as two years later I purchased my first uls laser.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Epilog Summit, but really my first was Epilog Radius 100w, then a 24ex, and now we have Fusions/M2s. I am interested in cheaper alternatives though like Boss in the future. We were actually one of Epilogs first customers.

LMI 25W, 11" X 32" bed,USA made. Had 2 of them.
    Epilog 35W TT
    Bought the LMI Jan of 1995.
    Only one left is the TT----hoping that goes soon! Tired

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I bought my first 30w mopa fiber laser in 2018. Then I bought a Trotec 80w co2 in 2019. I came from a CNC background doing 5 axis machining, still learning the fiber though

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Barclay View Post
    I bought my first 30w mopa fiber laser in 2018. Then I bought a Trotec 80w co2 in 2019. I came from a CNC background doing 5 axis machining, still learning the fiber though
    I've been doing this for a long time, but I find myself still coming up with better way to do things.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

My first laser was a 25 watt New Hermes Optima, which was a re-branded Universal. 12x18" table, had the knob -It was a 1997 model, it was my New Hermes/Gravograph rep's demo machine. It went more places than I've ever been. When it was about 2 years old he put a new tube in it (since NH was paying for it)... I bought it from him in late '01 or early '02. It wasn't long before I always had work for it, and had to get another laser, my LS-900... Meanwhile, I used the Optima until early 2014. Around 2006 I replaced the tube, only because I was able to get a new rebuilt for half price, it clocked in at 31 watts. After getting the big Triumph in 2013, my BIL was in need of another laser, so I sold him the Optima. He's used that machine every day since, engraving wood boxes. Other than the replacement tubes, it's had 2 belt changes and 2 X-axis roller wheel changes (last one before I sold it!). The thing is the Everready Bunny of lasers...

2nd laser was my LS-900, 40w 24x24 table, took delivery Dec. 7, 2004. It needed a new power supply, about 10 years ago? And I had to have the X stepper driver repaired in Oct. 2018, an X stepper wire wore thru the insulation and shorted, taking out the driver and a stepper motor eventually. No other problems in 15-1/3 years.

3rd laser was the big Triumph, 80w glass laser, 1300x900 non-moving table, got it here the day after Thanksgiving 2013. Had some soldered wire connections that I had to fix, and replaced the controller last year, otherwise it's still going strong.

4th laser is the GCC-Explorer I bought from Gary, got it here in October 2015- I've had to spray-clean the electrical connections on the motherboard, and replace the X rail bearing. Still on the original tube, still runs great...

5th laser was my 30w Triumph fiber, got it in June 2016. It had a scan head issue, was replaced on warranty, otherwise still works perfectly.

6th laser, my LS-100, which I bought from my Gravograph rep, like the Optima it was his demo machine. 35 watt machine, 18x12 table, with a Coherent laser that measured at 47 watts-! Got it while the LS-900's X driver was being repaired. It's been a great machine...

7th laser was my first e-bay 30w fiber laser I picked up a year ago December, $3400 to my door. I liked it so much I bought another one, my--

8th laser, a month later! The first is a desktop model with a 150 lens, I ordered an identical unit but all they had handy was the same thing in a cabinet model, which turned out to be a bonus-- for one I love the cabinet (thought it would just be in the way), and, the cabinet model came with 220 lens, which gave me some more variety.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

In 2004 I bought an Epilog 45 Watt Legend 24TT, to supplement my sign business that I gave up in 2009 in the recession. It's now on the 3rd tube, but it's help up great and in fact I'm running a small $500 one-day job right now. It's engraving and cutting out 1/8" acrylic, with paintfill, parts for a manufacturer back east. I don't see any need for another as long as I can get parts for this one, since I'm just doing a few side jobs now. Oddly enough I have had to work weekends on the laser for a couple of weeks now, at the same time as my regular job (working from home now) has gotten really busy dealing with the effects of the virus.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I bought my first laser, Universal 30 watt in 1998. 5 years later I upgraded to a Universal 50 watt. That one served me well for 13 years. The one I am using now is a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt. This one might outlast me as I am approaching 78. I'm not ready to give up yet though, I enjoy designing and making things too much.