Thread: Just fun

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Just fun

After 7 1/2 months out of the shop had a chance to have a little fun. Got a new medium router last year and needed a box. Grabbed a few off cots from the scrap box. Not thicknessed or anything. Got out an 1/8 and 3/8 chisel, block plane, 6” scale, 10 point back saw, 1/2” auger and a pencil. Flattened what would be the inside a bit, squared up 4 pieces using 3, 4, 5 with the scale. Shot the ends with the block plane, bench hook and the bench top. Marked the base lines using the pieces and let the offset fall to the inside. Cut one set of pins by eye. Used that to kind of mark the centers of the others and sawed them by eye. Chiseled the pin waste. Marked the tails using the pins and a pencil. Sawed and chiseled the waste. Glued up. Marked a bottom using the box as a guide. Cut a top the same way using the outside. Finished off the top with a gouge. Used some more scraps for the iron holder. At least I know I still have a good eye for it. Not great but not awful either. Main thing is it will last and keep the tool safe. Most of all it was fun to pick up the tools again after not knowing if I would ever be able again. I have some hard maple in the shop, been there for two years, just waiting for me to tackle a real project. May have to wait for this virus stuff to clear up a bit.