Thread: Lee Valley April Fools Tool?

Lee Valley April Fools Tool?

Ken's excellent gag video with bespoke toilet paper reminded me - has anyone found the usual LV gag tool?

I thought maybe the Adjustable-Depth Dozuki was it. But the system actually let me put one in my cart, so I dont think so.

Have any of you spotted it? Maybe they didnt do one because of Covid-19?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's actually a good idea. I used to have a Bishops #10 Patent Saw with the same feature. Rip and Crosscut in one tool.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    My Bishop #10 is still used in the shop at times.

Bishop Saw.jpg

It is great when sawing a lot of cuts to the same depth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My recollection is the April Fool's tool tradition was abandoned a few years back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I understood that there were irate customers insistent on ordering some of the items.

Huh. I guess I never realized that they'd been discontinued. I do recall irate customers - I always figured they were poking fun back at Rob! Thanks guys!

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ken's excellent gag video with bespoke toilet paper reminded me - has anyone found the usual LV gag tool?

I thought maybe the Adjustable-Depth Dozuki was it. But the system actually let me put one in my cart, so I dont think so.

Have any of you spotted it? Maybe they didnt do one because of Covid-19?

It is not a joke - I have had one for several years, and the best part is that it works quite well. I use it for dovetails, and it helps me cut to the baseline without going beyond.

IMG_3379[1].jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I understood that there were irate customers insistent on ordering some of the items.
    Actually if you type april into the Lee Valley search box it will take you to the one April Fool's Tool that is actually for sale, the Story Tape.

It is a blank 12' tape measure to be used like a story stick.

jtk

How bout a board stretcher?
    B8CC92C7-C4B4-4D20-AACD-2CDA2B1F4FEF.jpeg

Hi -

Seemed like this was a good year to take a pass....

We'll get back to them!

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

Seemed like this was a good year to take a pass....

We'll get back to them!

Cheers -

Rob
    Smart move. Timing has a lot to do with the success of levity.

Thanks Rob!

+1 on "Thanks Rob." The situation the way it is, that is probably for the best.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-05-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Mark,

I am not sure that board stretcher will work. The ones that work have an eccentric cam, whereas that one does not have an eccentric, the cam is round. If you pull the handle, the device will not try to actually stretch the board. If someone sold ones like that I think he would get complaints that the board stretcher did not work.

Stew