Thread: On a lighter note...

On a lighter note...

Virus or no virus, the grass is growing. My lawn mower started on the first pull today . That always makes me happy and I feel like I got a couple hours bonus. So now I'm ahead on the spring cleanup.

Little things in life..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    We are still a couple of weeks away from grass mowing. The yard is much too wet for our lawn tractor.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Cut mine last week. Applied both weed killer / crabgrass preventer and lime yesterday. Had 1/2" of rain last night. Working on another mower today. TORO personal pace mower from dumpsters (very low miles.) Either it never worked, or previous owner tried to fix it. Tomorrow will work on my old Merry Tiller. Trying to get caught up on some projects that have been on back burner too long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    We are still a couple of weeks away from grass mowing. The yard is much too wet for our lawn tractor.
    One time talking about lawn mowing, my question as to why people seem to cut their yards wet, someone replied, "if you don't mow wet, you don't mow."

jtk

- living in what is the world's largest temperate rainforest ecoregion, the northwest coast.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yup,

Normally a very exciting time of the year in my yard. My Acer Triflorum out my kitchen window I noticed this morning broke it’s first bud today.

The potted Japanese maples are all out and budding in various stages. The non tropical bonsai as well all be they badly neglected

1C6436AA-2039-4AC3-98F5-371708D1C261.jpg

Venus seems super bright in the night sky tonight around here. I'm guessing probably due to reduced pollution, and that, as I understand it, it's relativly close and won't be again for another 8 yrs.

Take a peek if you get a chance.

I mowed last Friday for the first time for this season. The mower took a little coaxing to get started but ran well after it once started. Then on Saturday, I fertilized. It was a good decision as it's rained or rained/snowed everyday since then and the grass is liking it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have two riding mowers neither of which work. One needs welding that I can't do and the other needs to be torn apart to repair an issue with a hydraulic cylinder. I'm not sure if there is air in the lines or if the cylinder is simply bad. I have the $400 to replace the cylinder, but reluctant to spend it since I may very well have a pay cut at work for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Cut mine last week. Applied both weed killer / crabgrass preventer and lime yesterday. Had 1/2" of rain last night. Working on another mower today. TORO personal pace mower from dumpsters (very low miles.) Either it never worked, or previous owner tried to fix it. Tomorrow will work on my old Merry Tiller. Trying to get caught up on some projects that have been on back burner too long.
    Boy the Merry Tiller brings back memories had one to cultivate the tomatoes in the green house. only 1 1/2 acres of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    Venus seems super bright in the night sky tonight around here. I'm guessing probably due to reduced pollution, and that, as I understand it, it's relativly close and won't be again for another 8 yrs.

Take a peek if you get a chance.
    IIRC - It's also at the maximum 'angle-off' from the sun, relative to our viewing position, so its higher in the sky :: viewable longer after sunset :: etc - all contributes to being brighter.

Won't be mowing in my yard for at least another 4-6 weeks, but I did prune the 3 wild apple trees I started from seed, blueberry bushes, and fertilized.

Have to take the snowtires off the cars next week.

But the redwings are back, and the juncos are congregating and singing their spring song, getting anxious to be moving on.