Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need more help with Grizzly Planer - General Metalworking / Machine Shop related

Need more help with Grizzly Planer - General Metalworking / Machine Shop related

All,

I have posted in the past about a problem I've had with my G0453PX (15" planer w/ spiral head) over the 10 years that I've owned it. I've contacted Grizzly a couple of times but we haven't been able to resolve the issue.

In a nutshell, the bottom belt pulley bolt works loose during use and the pulley starts to make a lot of noise. I can tighten the bolt and the problem goes away but will eventually return. Very frustrating. I've tried the following:

1. Replaced the belt pulley
    2. Used every color of Loctite available
    3. Tried various lock washers, including Nord-Lock

No matter what I do, the bolt eventually works itself loose and I have to shut down for the day while I wait for whatever new version of bolt lock solution I am going to try dries. I'm assuming that eventually, the heat generated by running the machine causes the Loctite to loosen and fail.

The only thing I can think of is that I am not able to tighten the bolt enough due to the slippage of the pulley (there seems to be no way to "lock" the motor shaft so that I can really crank on the bolt.

Anyone experience something similar? Any of you machine guys have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

I've got an open ticket with Grizzly, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope. At this point I'd be happy weld the stupid thing on there if I thought I could find a way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Is there a key in the pulley to prevent slippage?

Have you got enough room to use a QD bushing or taper lock bushing to hold your sheave in place?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Is there a key in the pulley to prevent slippage?
    Yes, there is a key. This particular pulley does not have hex screws to tighten the pulley to the key.

How would pulley slippage cause the bolt to come loose? Honest question, this is not my area of expertise.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Have you got enough room to use a QD bushing or taper lock bushing to hold your sheave in place?
    I will have to unpack this question a bit and get back to you. Lots of words here I don't quite understand.

Edit - Okay, now I see what you're saying. That might be a solution.
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 04-01-2020 at 4:43 PM.

Wait, there’s no set screw on the pulley that locks it to the key? Drill and tap for one if that’s the case.

So let me ask a dumb question. Again, this is not my area of expertise so be gentle.

I was assuming the purpose of the key was to keep the pulley (or sheave?) from "slipping" when the motor shaft spins. Are you suggesting it is also designed to keep the pulley from moving laterally (away from the motor)?

The bolt that comes loose is the one on the outside of the pulley that keeps it from moving laterally (and possibly off of the motor shaft).

For the sake of clarity, here is the parts drawing. You see parts 98 and 97. They are missing from the drawing for the bottom pulley, but they are there. The bolt (part 98) is the bolt that keeps coming loose (but on the bottom pulley, not the top).

Annotation 2020-04-01 165136.png

Some additional information. When I got the planer originally, the key was missing from the bottom pulley and the pulley was slipping and was really noisy. Grizzly was great (this was 10 years ago) and provided a new pulley, and even a new motor when I expressed concern that maybe the motor shaft was damaged. So I've always been concerned that something is not installed correctly down there. That said, I have the top pulley as an example and there's not much to the assembly so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

I have actually confused myself more now, because in my simple view of the world, the bolt I'm referring to "held the pulley" on the motor shaft, but after thinking about it a little, that makes no sense. I haven't seen many motors that have a threaded shaft so now I'm not even sure what that bolt/washer is for. The grizzly product catalog calls the washer a "collar" and not a washer for some reason.

There are no set screws in either pulley (top or bottom).
    Last edited by Russell Smallwood; 04-01-2020 at 5:07 PM.

I have the exact same planer, and have experienced the same problem, my pulley has set screws, and last time it got to making a racket, Took the shield off, and found the bolt was loose, and the key had slipped almost out of the keyway. Was making quite a racket. Got the key back in place, tightened the set screws, tightened the bolt in the end of the shaft and my planer runs quiet again. Seems like you need an impact to tighten that bolt, as the motor turns when you are trying to tighten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I have the exact same planer, and have experienced the same problem, my pulley has set screws, and last time it got to making a racket, Took the shield off, and found the bolt was loose, and the key had slipped almost out of the keyway. Was making quite a racket. Got the key back in place, tightened the set screws, tightened the bolt in the end of the shaft and my planer runs quiet again. Seems like you need an impact to tighten that bolt, as the motor turns when you are trying to tighten it.
    Thanks Jim! Good to know I'm not the only one. Impact wrench is an interesting idea. Will give that a try. You're absolutely correct that it's very difficult to tighten that bolt due to the fact that the motor turns when you try to tighten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    Thanks Jim! Good to know I'm not the only one. Impact wrench is an interesting idea. Will give that a try. You're absolutely correct that it's very difficult to tighten that bolt due to the fact that the motor turns when you try to tighten it.
    try clamping the belts together right above the motor, use a big wood clamp. This should hold the pulley from turning, while you tighten the bolt. If you use an impact be careful the new impacts will break bolts if you sit and hammer on the bolt too long.

I would use a sheave with a bushing.

Bolt in end of shaft with a washer pressing against pulley is fine, typical euro arrangement, but the sheaves usually have a slight taper or center bore presses up against a shoulder on a shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    try clamping the belts together right above the motor, use a big wood clamp. This should hold the pulley from turning, while you tighten the bolt. If you use an impact be careful the new impacts will break bolts if you sit and hammer on the bolt too long.
    This is a great idea. Will try. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I would use a sheave with a bushing.

Bolt in end of shaft with a washer pressing against pulley is fine, typical euro arrangement, but the sheaves usually have a slight taper or center bore presses up against a shoulder on a shaft.
    Thanks, any suggestions on where to get a sheave and bushing of this size?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    Thanks, any suggestions on where to get a sheave and bushing of this size?
    Motion Industries, if one is available nearby?