Thread: Fingernail grind

Fingernail grind

How can a fingernail grind be recognized by the appearance of it?

I thought that the sweep on the side of a fingernail grind didn't extent past the point that the grind terminated on the top of the flute.

The latest email ad from Woodcraft has me thinking I might be wrong.

I think fingernail grind means "looks vaguely like a fingernail". There's no international standards body to set and enforce a definition. (nor is there consensus among turners)

. . . which creates potential for huge frustration when so many soures mention or even suggest "a fingernail grind."

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I think fingernail grind means "looks vaguely like a fingernail". There's no international standards body to set and enforce a definition. (nor is there consensus among turners)
    That's putting it mildly! I find the shape of the grind doesn't matter all that much. I seem to turn equally well with a variety of grinds. Note that the shape of a grind with swept-back wings changes a lot with the depth and shape of the flute, especially with spindle vs shallow spindle/detail gouges.

The shape of a grind with swept-back wings also depends on the angle of the bevel and the settings on the jig you use. Look at this page from the Tormek manual:

tormek_gouge_table.jpg

BTW, the term "fingernail grind" always confused me. Am I the only one who never thought it looked like a fingernail?

JKJ

Yes, a confusing term. Some people's fingernails are short and blunt, and some are more long and pointy...... I think generally that term applies more to a grind like the 40/40, and less to the swept back/Irish/Ellsworth grinds...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

BTW, the term "fingernail grind" always confused me. Am I the only one who never thought it looked like a fingernail?

JKJ
    I agree that it doesn't look at al like a fingernail....... Did wonder what fingernail "they" talking about.

I think the "regular" grind (NOT intending to start a regular grind discussion) looks more like MY fingernail.