Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shapton 5000 Sigma 6000 and 13000

Shapton 5000 Sigma 6000 and 13000

I typically use Shapton Pro 1000, 5000 and 8000. I have seen posts suggesting the the Sigma 6000 is some how better than the Shapton Pro 5000. Has anyone here found a difference in the two. In regards to The Sigma 13000, I have never used a stone that fine. Does it make much difference above an 8000 and how can one jump from a Sigma 6000 to a 13000. It seems there should be an intermediate grit or at the finer grits it isn't really a big jump? Thanks

I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference between the 13k, and any 8k. The 13 cuts faster than it seems like it ought to. I do have a 10k, that cuts down on the total number of strokes needed, but it's not necessary. I bought the 10k used, as my first Sigma trial, to see if I liked those stones, and filled in the empty slots since then.

I don't especially like Shapton stones, only because of personal feel, but don't see any need for you to replace any of them, since you already have them. I wouldn't want to be without the 13 Sigma though.

I have been using the Sigma 6K and 13K stones for chisels and plane irons for a few years now and am very satisfied with the use of and the results from the stones. There does not appear to be a need for an intermediate stone between the two as the 13K seems to just further refine the 6K edge with a few strokes. The pink speckled 6K Sigma stone seems to be the best stone I have ever used in terms of results expected for a particular grade. I use the 6K after a 1K stone and the edge really jumps up after the 6K. I soak them 10 minutes before use and have developed the habit of dropping them into their tubs when I walk into the shop opening windows, etc and expect to use them sometime.
    Last edited by David Eisenhauer; 04-01-2020 at 4:46 PM.
    David

Thanks David, are there different Sigma 6000 stones. As in Shapton pros vs glass? If so is one line better of using the typical plane irons of 01, A2 or pm-v11?

Thanks Tom!!

I personally use the Shapton pro's (1K, 5K, and 12K) and absolutely love them. I have some other intermediate grit Shapton Pro's that I've picked up just out of curiosity but settled on using just the 3 with no need for anything intermediate. Having said this I would absolutely love to try out the Sigma Power stones, specifically the 6K as I've always heard great things. The current reason I have not gone down this path is there is no longer a source that I know of selling Sigma Power's. After Stu got done, I for the life of me can't find these stones for sale anywhere. The price he had these stones for was also amazing and I should've jumped all over them back in the day.

I do think people are confusing the Sigma Power Select II's for the coveted Sigma Power stones and know from reading Stu's blog posts that these stones are nothing alike. The Power Select II's are designed for very hard steels, HSS or similar, and tend to wear very quickly constantly exposing new grit to abrade the metal much faster.

If anyone knows of a good source for the Sigma Power I would to see it.

As would I, if anyone knows of a source? Thanks Tony

I have Shapton Pros and Glass through 1600 and Sigma 1K, 6K, and 13K also in my stone cabinet. I mostly use India, Washita, and Hard Ark with either a Surgical Black Ark or a JNat to polish. Both the Shaptons, Glass or Pro, while reasonably fast and leave a high polish they also leave a final scratch pattern that sucks.

I just dug out the Sigma stones and they are soaking for a bit. It has been awhile since I've tried them. I'll make a run on both Western O1 and Japanese White #1 and report back, not that it makes a difference.

ken

Heartwood Tools is selling the Sigma Power Select II stones. I have no experience with them but noticed the other day they are selling Sigma stones and HNT Gordon in the US.

Hi Ken, are your Sigmas the Select IIs or the earlier choice? Is there a reason you put them in drawer and are using the Shapton?

Hi Beau, I see the web site but as you stated they are offering the Power Select II stones and not the earlier version? Thanks

It appears the Select IIs are designed for the harder steels. As a result they may wear faster than other stones. Has that been the case for you, do they dish faster than the shaptons?

It has been too long since I bought my Sigma stones to remember which particular line it was in, but do know that someone else bought a Sigma 6K stone that is a darker yellow color and is not quite the stone that the Sigma pink speckled 6K stone is. Ask from whomever you buy from to confirm the color.
    David

I believe Derek C uses the Sigmas, perhaps he has a vendor over in that part of the world that handles the preferred Sigma line that he can turn us on to. I would buy another pink speckled stone for sure.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Hi Ken, are your Sigmas the Select IIs or the earlier choice? Is there a reason you put them in drawer and are using the Shapton?
    Mark,

I believe they are Select II but could be wrong, I bought them from Stew a year or two before he went out of business. I'm not using the Shaptons.

I just like the results from natural stones better than from synthetic stones. BTW, because of this thread I just gave the Sigma stones a run. All my cutters are O1 or #1, or #2 White Paper steel. If you use A2 or other more modern steel I expect your opinion would vary or be different. The edge I get off the Ark stones and a oiled strop is as fast and maybe better (that could be because I use the Ark stones all the time and can do a better job of judging the edge/burr) than off the Sigma stones. I did an A&B with a Sorby chisel. Sharpened it on the Sigma 1K, 6K, and 13K and while I never test my cutters this time I did. After testing I sharpened on my normal oil stones followed by a couple or three pulls on an oiled strop and while subjective the chisel was easier to push after the oil stones, feeling the surface I could feel no difference but under a loupe the oils stone surface was smoother. Again all subjective but I've done this over the years and only JNats will leave a surface as good or better than my Surgical Black Ark. Of course YMMV and probably will.

ken

P.S. the 6K is pink and speckled