Thread: Schmitt 32

Schmitt 32

Hi guys. Hope you are all staying safe. I have a large kitchen DIY project coming up and was thinking about getting the Schmitt 32mm boring system to expedite the cabinet building. Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks.

I don't see the advantage of the Schmitt over less-expensive jigs. The basis of the 32mm system is a column of 5mm holes set 32mm on center, 37mm from the front. Any good shelf-pin jig does that.

There are many SMC threads about shelf-pin jigs. Here's one current one: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Shelf-Pin-Jig

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I don't see the advantage of the Schmitt over less-expensive jigs. The basis of the 32mm system is a column of 5mm holes set 32mm on center, 37mm from the front. Any good shelf-pin jig does that.

There are many SMC threads about shelf-pin jigs. Here's one current one: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Shelf-Pin-Jig

Thanks for the reply. The main advantage I can see is that the system allows for dead accurate drawer slide holes front to back. I know you can do that with the Festool LR32 and their parallel guides, but the Schmitt looks much easier and faster.

A much less expensive solution I have had success with is the Woodhaven shelf pin jig. It comes with a guide bushing and spiral bit for making 5mm shelf pin holes on 32mm centers. Unless you have a frequent need for a machine such as this, find a less pricey solution. I have been happy with my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Ghotbi View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The main advantage I can see is that the system allows for dead accurate drawer slide holes front to back. I know you can do that with the Festool LR32 and their parallel guides, but the Schmitt looks much easier and faster.
    Perhaps more accurate , but I'm hesitant to concede even that.

If you design your front and back system holes correctly the drawer slides will attach front and back automatically. The intermediate holes can then be done with a vix bit , or simply with self tapping screws. All this is done without the setup time or expense of the Schmitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Ghotbi View Post
    Mo,

I use the Festool LR 32-SYS. I've been extremely happy with it. Once you get used to the Festool system, the setup is pretty quick. The results are superb - much better then you can get with a shelf pin jig - The holes are super clean and square. And you have a rail that can be used for other routing and sawing operations.

I haven't used the Schmitt, but it looks nice. It looks like it takes a large footprint to set up.

Cheers,
    Mark

Seems to me a bit of a Rube Goldberg for a jig. It does seem to have a certain functionality, but once line boring becomes that important to you, it's time for a linebore machine.