Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sanding before cutting. Does it really dull blades??

Sand paper has changed over the years. I am not familiar with the details but understand that at least one brand or type has stearate coating to make it self-lubricating.

Years ago, I picked up a box of miscellany at an auction that had a 3" tall stack of sand paper. The grit was loose on the surface and some would fall off when holding the sheet vertical.

If the abrasive is not lost to the surface being sanded, where does it go? Some or all could be in the dust but if it comes loose, it seems likely some parts could remain imbedded in the surface.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

David the sandpaper you bought was defective if the grit was falling off.

I had one instance over the years where I noticed a change in the sand paper and I wasn't getting the same mileage out of it. I told them I know how far this paper will go and this last batch is not the same. They admitted that the new green glue they were using was causing problems. Days later a big box arrived and I thought I won the sandpaper lottery, paying me off to keep me quiet.

Ive given examples in the post, two other ways that will dull your tooling. Andrew has given another example. Mel also spoke up and Mel knows and understands wood. Yet another example if you are ever chainsawing and even just knick the ground your sharp saw instantly changes. I did three stumps and plunged the last one and it turned out I did hit earth. Had to remove lots off the rounded tips, that was my hardest sharpening ever and once again learned to have respect for sand, that is not sand to the level that is on sanding belts. Ive sandblasted and Silica sand is kindergarten compared to better mediums. Its still sand but its almost useless compared to sharp grits (realize its gone now and not used) point is different sands are different

Old guy knew his stuff, his info was never wrong. He did a proper apprenticeship in a top place. Finished a year early then stayed at that shop. Came to canada in 55 started at the bottom, he was running it all in two years. I said because you were so good, he said "no because they saw I could make money for them"

Wide belt or sand your stuff before you machine it and you will dull your tooling. He taught me that in 81 first time I was on a stroke sander, also taught me spin the panel and dont reach across and why.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-09-2020 at 1:30 AM.