Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding before cutting. Does it really dull blades??

Sanding before cutting. Does it really dull blades??

This was brought up in another post. Does anyone have evidence that proves or disproves the claim that sanding before cutting will dull a blade quicker than not sanding before cutting?
    As a hobbyist I find this hard to believe that I would notice a difference if it were true. There seems to be several opinions on this but most of them are being based in what we were taught when we got into woodworking.

Blog Entries
    What is the basis for this position? Are they saying that sanding grit is left behind to dull the blades? Does sanding make the material harder or more abrasive?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The claim is that there is grit left in the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    The claim is that there is grit left in the wood.
    Perhaps they need to use a higher quality sandpaper that doesn't drop all its grit...

(No, the average hobbyist will never notice the difference. Doubt a pro would either.)
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, keeping certain types home from work where they normally get to expound, with or without a willing audience, on many theories devoid of empirical data generates some interesting online conversations. I recommend crossword puzzles as an activity for these folks rather than elevating theoretical minutia to a level worthy of serious discussion.

I had a guy who worked for me that had an annoying habit. He would come in and ask if you didn't think "such and such" might be so. If I was silly enough to answer that I did not, he would try to spend a serious amount of time convincing you that you were wrong. Fortunately, as I mentioned, he worked for me so I could just interrupt and tell him to go do what I was paying him for or take an unemployed hike. We eventually worked this out as he would also interrupt other members of my staff and I wasn't having it. He groused around for the last few years he worked for me until I retired. He was good at what he did and was still there when I left so . . . almost a win-win
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn read the post on "finish sanding before assembly" in General discussion. You will understand where this is coming from but it will be on context what I stated and why Matthew has set out to prove me wrong.

What I stated is correct and accurate, it came from a top place. I gave examples of how and why it happens.

Glenn your statements relate to me and I dont sit at home with some need to expound.

I don't see my earlier post. But wait ....there's MORE ! A test has been offered,and it's quick and easy.
    People who buy expensive old rugs know that failure to remove all grit from their shoes allows the grit to cause wear
    over time. Yes, over a long time. But they want them to last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Glenn read the post on "finish sanding before assembly" in General discussion. You will understand where this is coming from but it will be on context what I stated and why Matthew has set out to prove me wrong.

What I stated is correct and accurate, it came from a top place. I gave examples of how and why it happens.

Glenn your statements relate to me and I dont sit at home with some need to expound.
    Warren,. I am just looking for actual data that supports your claim. I have a habit of not believing anything I am told unless there is actual proof. With all the news around these days I wish everyone would do this and not just jump in feet first and believe everything they here (.i.e fake news). If your claim is actually true and can be validated it may change my process in the shop as well as others.

One thing that makes tests difficult is the fact that many shops that allow sawing sanded wood when it could be avoided
    also let employees put one edge of a saw on the steel table then drop the rest of it. And it's been proven that it's a sound
    that makes some happy! Some call it the "cymbal " of a happy shop! And it's a sure sign of a "no nonsense" attitude.

then leave the thread where it was so its in context.

Statement was based on Johnny Means wide belting his stuff before machining which is the wrong order. I wrote the examples of how and why there, info came from the top, info is known by many top people. Go back to that thread so people can read what I said and then challenge me there. Anyone who knows what they are doing already knows this.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-01-2020 at 4:49 PM.

Warren,
    Sorry I made you feel that I was trying to prove you wrong.
    I moved it in order to get an unbiased opinion from a finishing forum.

So lets put this back into context.
    If I recall correctly: It was stated that it will dull you blades if you sand with a wide belt sander to 180 and then rip.

I love discussions like this. Don't think on it as him trying to prove you wrong. Think of it as trying to get accurate information.

Years ago, on a different forum, there was a discussion about using too much pressure in tightening clamps on a glue-up with regular PVA glue would squeeze out too much glue and "starve" the joint.

It turn out to one of those things that many people knew to be true but wasn't. There was correspondence from technical people at Tightbond that said factories have clamps that can generate much more force than tightening by hand and their joints are not starved.

Read the post I mentioned in context to the wide belt and the details why. Its fact and its accurate.

Here is the link to the thread that Warren is referencing so everyone can understand the context. Please comment after reading the thread.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....assembly/page2

I would think anyone who has tried hand planing a table top after sanding will agree with Warren.
    Its a mistake very few make twice.
    Aj