Thread: Porter-Cable Model 7518 Base - Electrical Hazard Issue

Porter-Cable Model 7518 Base - Electrical Hazard Issue

I have owned a P-C Model 7518 for years, and some years ago did attempt unsuccessfully to acquire a free insulated handled replacement base that P-C was offering (around 2014 I think), due I presume to an electrical shock hazard that was identified. Fast forward to 2020, with time on my hands due to self-isolation to go through my shop and all my tools, is there a way I can effectively electrically insulate the handles without adding too much bulk to the already meaty (for my hands) handles? I looked up the price of the insulated replacement base, and it isn't very budget-friendly, even if I was still working....

Thanks,

Joe H.

How much is your life worth? Budget friendly and shock prevention don't seem to go together. If there is any electrical shock possibility from touching any surface of that router, I'd throw it away. What would prevent your forearm from touching a conductive surface? One the other side of the equation, that router was in production long before 2014. I had one in the middle 90s in a router table at my business.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-31-2020 at 8:16 PM.

Two thoughts come to mind. Looking at the handles, it is fortunate that there doesn't appear to be a handle mounted switch or any mechanism to get in the way. So 1st suggestion would be to dip the handle parts in liquid electrical tape. You would need to do it a bunch of times to build up a reasonable thickness, but it should do the trick. Or you can brush it on.

The other idea would be to wrap the handles with Scotch self-fusing silicone tape. It's a thick tape, but wherever it contacts itself it fuses together into a solid layer that is both really tough and very difficult to remove without just cutting it off. Sparkies use it to wrap big splices to insulate them and keep water out.

I'd probably try the tape first. It would give you good insulation and also a rubbery grip. And it's a lot less messy and smelly than the liquid.

And not a bad idea to always use it on a GFCI circuit.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Just why would the metal base be anymore dangerous than the rest of the metal equipment I work with everyday? As I understood it, there are actually no known cases of this being a problem. Trying to get ahead of some unnecessary new standard maybe.

According to CPS site, recall is still in effect. Need to order one my self. Recalls generally don't have time limits. DeVilbiss made a bunch of generators for Y-2K that had leaky gas tanks which were under recall. Recall is still in effect. I know, as I have had two replaced

attach Ground wire. Are the handles made of conductive material? pictures please. Some of the older Bosch routers used wood handles.
    use dry clean gloves for now.
    Bill D.

I would think that maybe a can of that plastic coating or several layers of good thick paint, You know what you see on the handles of pliers etc. Over the yrs I have gone through lot of machines,but one the over look area's that I put lot work into is grounding. I made sure that I took great care in grounding what was possible, I use those nuts with nylon inserts so that would not vibrate loose or one of those star washers. If your using a tool that your kinda wondering about, install yourself a GFI plugs or breakers just to be on safe side. Back in day when power tools were made to last forever,they always had metal triggers and all metal or maybe cast aluminum. Now at least most have good plastic handles. Good question

OMG! I touched the metal top of my table saw yesterday

https://www.portercable.com/support/...d-router-bases

Call or email porter cable and ask them about the replacement for the recall

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Just why would the metal base be anymore dangerous than the rest of the metal equipment I work with everyday? As I understood it, there are actually no known cases of this being a problem. Trying to get ahead of some unnecessary new standard maybe.

That's how I remember the conversation at the time the recall was announced. And if there were a genuine hazard, the replacement base doesn't solve it:
    7518 Base.jpg
    Nothing gets in the way of your fingers touching uninsulated metal. For those who believe the hazard is real, a pair of insulated gloves would be more effective.
    Chuck Taylor

Looks like a pigtail ground wire from motor to base with a spade connector. Or a metal grounding brush touching the side of the motor.
    Bill D.

https://www.gordonbrush.com/grounding-brushes.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Looks like a pigtail ground wire from motor to base with a spade connector. Or a metal grounding brush touching the side of the motor.
    Bill D.

https://www.gordonbrush.com/grounding-brushes.php

The 7518 has a 2-prong power cord--it isn't grounded. Even using a pigtail or brush to improve the existing metal-to-metal contact between motor and base won't change much.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    The 7518 has a 2-prong power cord--it isn't grounded. Even using a pigtail or brush to improve the existing metal-to-metal contact between motor and base won't change much.
    Well there is the problem. A double insulated tool should have no metal anywhere on the outside to be touched. So the cord need to be replaced with a three wire cord. Any tool spinning that fast really needs to be grounded or it is a van degraff generator that will attract sawdust and give out shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    OMG! I touched the metal top of my table saw yesterday

He he he... I've worn about ten of those out and never got a shock, YRMV