Thread: Windows 10 & Epilog USB Printer Port Problem

Question Windows 10 & Epilog USB Printer Port Problem

I just upgraded my computer from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. For some reason Windows 10 keeps changing my USB virtual printer port. Sometimes it's USB002 virtual port, sometimes it names to USB004 or USB005. I have a 2005 Epilog Mini. I've installed the latest driver and updated to the latest firmware. I've also tried having the Epilog be the default laser but it seems every time I turn on the computer and the laser it switches to a different port. I do have a Brother inkjet printer installed as well but it's on USB port 001 and is not set to default printer. Any ideas why and is there a solution? I really like Win 7 but I know it's no longer supported.
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

--Any computer that's not connected to the internet has zero need for any "support".

--Any computer that's connected to your home network can be divorced from the internet by your router...

I have a Win10 laptop, a 98, three XP's and four Win7's in daily use here. The XP's and '98 are off the net, my 7's are on the net by virtue of the fact that Mircrosoft Security Essentials will still protect Win 7's for 2 more years. ALL of my computers can access each other, Except of course for the Win10, it's such a PIA to be able to connect, I don't bother.

Use Win10 for 'net' use, and Win7 for 'proprietary' use for your laser.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you for the reply Kevin. Unfortunately this computer has to be connected to the internet. I have an older computer running XP that is not connected to the internet for my rotary engraver using GravoStyle 98. I did find some suggestions online that I'm going to try (fingers crossed). Here are a few suggestions on this website in case any one else is having the same problem and wants to try...

https://troubleshooter.xyz/wiki/fix-...in-windows-10/
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

I still haven't resolved this issue but have contacted Epilog for assistance. I'd like to think it isn't because my laser is older (about 15 yrs old). I have been toying with the idea of trying an ethernet cable instead of USB but it sounds like that could be more of a headache...
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    I still haven't resolved this issue but have contacted Epilog for assistance. I'd like to think it isn't because my laser is older (about 15 yrs old). I have been toying with the idea of trying an ethernet cable instead of USB but it sounds like that could be more of a headache...
    While I've never worked with an Epilog machine over Ethernet, I can tell you that with my multiple Chinese Ruida based machines I have, the best thing I ever did was convert them to Ethernet connectivity. Used to have random strange disconnects over USB, and haven't had one single issue for over two years since I switched them all over. Plus, it allowed me to rearrange the shop and have the computers on the other side of the shop from the lasers and not have to worry about USB cable length, etc. Give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised how easily it's done and how well it works.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Thank you for the reply Kevin. Unfortunately this computer has to be connected to the internet. I have an older computer running XP that is not connected to the internet for my rotary engraver using GravoStyle 98...
    Can you use the XP to run the Epilog AND the tool machine? You can run the XP computer with the Win10 computer via Remote Desktop. Among other things I use Remote Desktop to run my LS100 laser-- it needs a different computer (one of my XP's) because I can't load 2 different Gravograph drivers on the same computer, the newest takes precedence, and I can't run my older LS900 with the newer driver...

4 of my computers are in 'constant' use by me; my garage computer (runs 5 machines), the office computer (invoices etc.) , the one XP (with Corel, Gravostyle to run the LS100) and my 'main' computer (email, 2 versions Corel, 2 versions Gravostyle, runs/controls 7 machines)... No matter which computer I'm using at the moment, I can connect to any or all of the other 3 computers.

Remote Desktop Probably saves me 3 miles and 25 trips up/down the stairs every day!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Yay, it's fixed thanks to Epliog Tech. Thought I would post the solution in case anyone has a similar problem. Turns out I needed a shorter USB cable (I went from 15 ft cable to 6 ft). Here's the explanation from Epilog:

Generally this can happen from weak USB signal and going from windows 7 to 10 can make the signal weaker due to software power limiting on top of potential hardware power limiting as well. I would recommend getting a shorter USB cable and that should fix the problem.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Good for Epilog, and since I use four 25' powered USB cables to reach some of my equipment, I should've thought of that
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

I have a similar problem. Since it is not possible to use a cable shorter than 15ft/5m, do you think the problem would be solved if I buy a usb to ethernet adapter and connect my laser to the pc via ethernet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Gregoras View Post
    I have a similar problem. Since it is not possible to use a cable shorter than 15ft/5m, do you think the problem would be solved if I buy a usb to ethernet adapter and connect my laser to the pc via ethernet?
    If you need another ethernet port, would an inexpensive switch work? Cost may be about the same and you don't have the USB -> ethernet conversion. I don't have any lasers or engravers but having 3 printers connected via ethernet has worked really well. I give each printer a static I.P. address for enhanced reliability.

My laser has only a usb and a parallel port. A cheap print server device costs 62 euros here (the price of a top ssd 500gb disk). I found a very short usb B to A cable just now, so tomorrow I will test with my laptop tomorrow and let you know.