Thread: Handhewn White Oak Fireplace Mantle Topcoat

Handhewn White Oak Fireplace Mantle Topcoat

Recently made a fireplace surround from a reclaimed, hand-hewn white oak beam. It has been sanded but retains a nice gray and brown patina that matches the flooring and stone surround very well. Any suggestions as to what would be the best topcoat without darkening the current coloration? A satin finish is preferred. I tried Waterlox, ArmRSeal and Endurovar on samples with Endurovar providing the least color change. Wax could be an option but the roughness of the handhewn edges would complicate that a bit. Thanks in advance.

Enduro Clear Poly will apply like Endurovar and will have even less color than it. It's pretty much water white.

I have recently sprayed a bunch of Target EM CV8000 and just LOVE it. I added the cross linker. It sprays and levels like a dream.

Both of these finishes (and Endurovar) are available in Satin (of even Flat sheen, which is my personal favorite recently).

Beware that as you go with a flatter sheen with the waterbased products I mention, the first couple coats will make it look like there's NO finish. It's not until there is a little build that you start seeing light gently reflected. The absence of color, though, can be striking in a way that you might not intend.

Same as Prashun. If you want no color change, and even the look of no finish at all, then use Enduro Clear Poly in the matte or flat sheen. Two or three coats looks like no finish at all. The can says spray only, but on your project you can put it one with a brush, too.

John

Thank you Prashun and John. Your suggestions are basically what I am trying to accomplish -- the finish that does not add color and very little, if any, sheen.