Thread: What type of brass do you use for shop made hand tools?

What type of brass do you use for shop made hand tools?

I am going to build a spokeshave and I want to include a brass wear plate. I tried searching the forum for info, but I only found descriptions of the tool builds, which was fun to look through, don't get me wrong.

However, I am looking for info on the type and thickness of brass that most woodworkers use. I went to McMaster-Carr and found the brass sheets, but before I buy I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Since I am buying a sheet, I am planning to use the brass in other builds/restorations, and I am looking for something that will fit the bill.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    Laird

I've only used brass for patchwork repair.

I got a 1/16" (1.5 mm) piece. Easy to manage with a drill press and files.

Isn't there a way to use a lathe, a square of brass, and a mandrel....spin the brass, and use a polished rounded steel rod...to form brass ferrels for tool handles?

Quote Originally Posted by Laird Sourdif View Post
    I am going to build a spokeshave and I want to include a brass wear plate. I tried searching the forum for info, but I only found descriptions of the tool builds, which was fun to look through, don't get me wrong.

However, I am looking for info on the type and thickness of brass that most woodworkers use. I went to McMaster-Carr and found the brass sheets, but before I buy I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. Since I am buying a sheet, I am planning to use the brass in other builds/restorations, and I am looking for something that will fit the bill.

Laird
    Hi Laird -

If you plan on screwing it in place, you need enough material to provide an adequate countersink.

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Laird Sourdif View Post

Laird
    Hey Laird - Not sure where you hail from, but in my neck of the woods hobby brass is available in some hardware stores and home centers. It comes in small sizes and usually 1/16 and 3/32 thick. I can't see you needing much for a wear plate on a spoke shave and it would be a good way to get in the game on the cheap. If nothing else it's a good path for prototyping.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    in my neck of the woods hobby brass is available in some hardware stores and home centers.
    My brass was purchased in the local ACE Hardware before they closed the store.

It was used for this spokeshave project:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?269044

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I usually keep a small amount of 353 brass on hand for occasional use in fixtures and the like. The 353 alloy machines pretty well (think cutting, filing, drilling and tapping) and also can be formed reasonably well (think bending). Pretty sure Mcmaster carries it as that is where I usually buy that kind of stuff.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Most of my brass is used in ferrules, saw backs, and such. Some hollow tubing. So mostly 360 round and rectangle bars. Some plate and some 260. Occasionally a little bit of bronze. I have bought quite a bit from Online metals when I catch sales.

I use an old door kick plate that is made of brass. Be aware, though, most of the kick plates on store shelves now are plated only.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Thanks everyone, for your replies. I'm in Minnesota and we have the stay at home order, so I am looking at brass that I can order/get delivered. I wanted to find that middle ground in terms of thickness, because I also have a couple of wood planes that need fixing, so the advice about countersinking was helpful (thanks Rob).

That's why I like the haven, there are so many ways that woodworkers find to solve a problem. Many of them I wouldn't have thought of on my own.

Thanks, again!!
    Laird

An online resource many may find useful is onlinemetals.com I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them over the years. You can read about the different grades of brass. Most are available annealed or half hard. Brass is copper and zinc, like in a 60/40 proportion. Some brasses like 360 have lead added which make them easier to machine. Others like 464 have tin added to make them weather resistant especially as used in naval applications.

The site offers a good review of the various physical properties. Personally, brass is pretty soft no matter which one you choose. If you are going to use a non-ferrous metal, you might consider bronze. It has it's zinc replaced by tin (typically) and is much harder and has precedence in tool construction through the years.