Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big bandsaw Tuesday

Big bandsaw Tuesday

Moving some equipment around in my shop today and finally getting around to test firing some stuff I have had sitting for a year or so. I do have 3 more 36" saws, I should get a group shot.

That's a fairly rare Greenlee 410 from around 1925 sitting next to a Tannewitz GHE from 1973. Not much has changed in bandsaw design, other than making new ones lighter and cheaper.. IMG_20200331_114229_813.jpg

Is the Greenlee Babbit or ball bearing? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Ball bearing, 7.5hp direct drive.
    I believe it was originally owned by the Fisher Body Company in Pontiac, MI.

Blog Entries
    What size blades are in these saws. What are the saws uses? O think you could saw planks out of tree trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Another interesting tid bit on the greenlee, it was in the Fisher Body co. plant in Pontiac, MI. probably bought new for that building when it opened. Be neat to find pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What size blades are in these saws. What are the saws uses? O think you could saw planks out of tree trunks.
    They take a 19' 6" blade, anywhere from 3/8 to 1 1/4" wide.
    For production batching of parts. Trace pattern, cut close to line and stack on cart for next operation.

The tannewitz was originally bought by Magic Chef.

Saw's that size run so smooth and quite.

The Tannewitz is stripped to the frame.

IMG_20200614_145324_135.jpg

can you buy new shoes for it? or do you have to reline the ones you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    can you buy new shoes for it? or do you have to reline the ones you have?
    I could have them relined, but as soon as I figure out what vehicle those wheel cylinders fit, I almost guarantee the shoes are from the same. Usually about 75 bucks a set for new linings, but he blasts them, paints them and uses top shelf hardware.

My dad has a late 20s (I think)Ford Model A unrestored. I’m pretty sure its the a 4 door body by Fisher. That saw probably played a role in making the wood frame parts.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

That brake set up is nuts. I’m a mechanic. Never imagined to see that in a bandsaw.

Refurbishing a big Tannewitz is on my list once the new shop is set up.

probably 10 nice bandsaws at this old factory that closed a few years ago. All running at the time. This one listed as a GI, 7.5 HP. Sold for 2,400.00 Can and 330.00 removal fee. Some shops had sheets on the machines of the maintenance history. Interesting brake, upgrade to a disc ? I see that pickup again.

P2190399A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-17-2020 at 2:27 AM.