Thread: Microsoft Edge

Blog Entries

Microsoft Edge

Are any of you using it? I see no reason to change.

Well, change from what? Edge has far fewer security flaws and vulnerabilities than the now-obsolete Internet Explorer. But it has compatibility issues with older technology web sites and some privacy concerns.

Chrome is fast and has few compatibility issues, but riddled with privacy issues.

Firefox has decent compatibility, good privacy controls (although the default settings aren't the greatest, a little tweaking can lock it down pretty well). It's patched automatically by default and regularly to address issues and vulnerabilities. It's what I recommend and use unless a site just won't work with it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I like Chrome because it carries all my preferences to all my platforms.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Old dogs are not comfortable in new beds, I will stay with Chrome.

Answered your own questions it seems. Just don’t click on clickbait, regardless of browser.

I've used Edge ever since it first debuted with Windows 10. It's a browser - if it does what you need it to do and displays web pages correctly, then it is working.

One thing about Edge is that, at least until the most recent version, it included a menu option you could select to "Open site in Internet Explorer". This was a great option for browsing sites that had proprietary code that only worked in IE. You may not have seen this in the consumer world, but it was, and still is, common in the business world, especially in the medical and insurance fields. Re-writing web sites from the ground up is a lot of work, and most companies took the easy way out and just required IE instead.

Alas, with the advent of the Chromium-based Edge, the "Open in Internet Explorer" option seems to be gone. Makes sense, as Chromium is a completely different engine, but it may make things difficult for some people for a while. If you have a site that requires IE to work properly, do not update to the new Edge.

EDIT:

It appears that there is a way to enable IE support in the latest version of Edge. It looks to be an experimental or developer feature, but it is there. For those who are interested:

https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2...-Edge-Chromium
    Last edited by Derek Meyer; 03-31-2020 at 5:35 PM.