Thread: How not to cut your hair at home

How not to cut your hair at home

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-52095...r-hair-at-home

Yikes!

All I have is a beard trimmer. I trimmed the hair in front and over my ears just to keep it out of the way, all I could do without a real clipper and hand mirror.

By the end of May I'll have, gasp, a Mullet!

Maybe I'll order a Hockey Jersey.

I've been cutting my own hair for 15 years. I just use cordless clippers. I wear the ever stylish "Basic Training" cut. It's very aerodynamic and nearly maintenance free.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    For me, once a year is enough for getting my hair cut. This is an image before last year's spring ritual:

Pre-Haircut 2019.jpg

My wife cuts my hair. My patience sitting while Candy tries to do 'salon quality' work tends to run thin. Last year my plee was for her to just take it all off and be done with it:

After Haircut 2019.jpg

My choice last winter was to not grow a beard. Hopefully this year's haircut will be as fast as last year's.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All I can say is that by the end of April we are all going to be suspicious of those folks with good haircuts.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

And everyone will know the real color of the ladies' hair.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Also in the Uk people were asked to volunteer to support the NHS. The scheme started on 24th March target 250,000 volunteers

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/y...olunteer-army/

405000 volunteered in the first 24 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jc7Jx6BC5w

Then on 29th March there was an announcement

Temporary pause in recruitment to NHS Volunteer Responders

Recruitment to the scheme was temporarily paused on 29th March 2020 to process the initial 750,000 applications.
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 03-31-2020 at 2:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Also in the Uk people were asked to volunteer to support.... initial 750,000 applications.
    And what does this have to do with haircuts?

Back to the topic... my son and I, like Rob, go with a 3/8” cordless clipper and keep it simple. My wife trims around the ears and back. Even though my son and I have the same haircut, he always looks better (he’s 5).

I bought a new clipper today but I'm home alone so it will be a burr.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    And everyone will know the real color of the ladies' hair.
    And a lot of men....Rod

He always looks better because he has only half your DNA -- the other half comes from his mother. You need to tell him that but only when your wife is around to hear. (Assuming your wife and his mother are the same person, otherwise maybe not.)

Jim, my wife and I enjoyed your before and after. I've been cutting mine since 88. I'm in the Air Force, so every two weeks...sometimes three, but it get's really long I almost always ask my wife how I look. After 20+ years she's kinda tired of it. I'll be retiring this summer, so maybe I'll take your approach.

I was talked into a flat top at some point when I was a young Airman. I liked it, but the barber shop could never seem to do it right. A friend cut his so I tried it and it was actually pretty easy. Toughest part is the back, but I use a second mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I've been cutting my own hair for 15 years. I just use cordless clippers. I wear the ever stylish "Basic Training" cut. It's very aerodynamic and nearly maintenance free.
    24+ years of the self-buzzcut for me. It was originally to combat helmet-head from riding a motorcycle, but I decided I liked the minimal maintenance and have never grown it out. I cut it about once a month.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore