Thread: Recent turnings

Recent turnings

3069D7F3-9698-4717-8858-A29D99A75136.jpg

I really enjoy seeing other people’s work so I thought I’d post a few of my recents.

My first hollow form is from a log I picked up in a garbage pile on my way to work (I think maple) with a black walnut finial (my first finial ever - I don’t love the form and plan on redoing it eventually).

The two boxes were my first attempts at off-set turning; buckeye and ash (the ash is finished with walnut colored Danish oil).

The small shallow NE bowl is dark walnut and the larger bowl is unknown. It came from my father in-laws property in E. TN - not sure what type of tree, though he thought possibly poplar (see pic below). It was about 75 feet tall and had blown down in the fall. Unfortunately the bark was totally loose and I didn’t even attempt to salvage it. DO finish.
    73CBBED0-35AE-437F-9CBC-CF24F293D1CD.jpg5947CE5C-09C9-487C-8EF2-0EC31584E781.jpg

If anyone has any idea what kind of wood the larger bowl is, I’d appreciate suggestions. I haven’t learned to identify wood yet, though I bought Hoadley’s book and a magnifying glass - (now just need to read and apply).

Thanks, C&C welcome.
    Tom

Nice work. Finials are fun and easy to make several or make changes until you get what you like. I am not good with wood ID, but the bark and the minimum grain pattern look like Linden (basswood) to me. You have a very good symmetrical shape on that bowl.

Thanks for posting, all very nice. It is good to see some finished work posted, it seems like that's become a lot less common, and it's something that originally drew me to this board. (Physician, heal thyself. . .)

Tulip poplar usually has a greenish yellow cast to it when fresh, often with some purple -- it fades to warm yellow-brown with time. If you told me that bowl was basswood I wouldn't disbelieve it, but can't see it well enough to affirm it.

Thanks for your comments Dave and Paul. I hadn’t considered basswood.
    Tom