Thread: Port Orford and Alaskan Yellow Cedar Question

Port Orford and Alaskan Yellow Cedar Question

I’m down in the San Diego area. I have curved rafters cut by CNC from the 2x12 so need a nice flat stable stock that won’t move / warp after cutting those curves. I’ve been using 2x12 CVG W Red cedar for years but it’s so much $$ these days so looking for lower cost alternatives!

I’ve heard that even plain sawn KD POC is pretty stable without much cupping? How about Alaskan yellow cedar? I'm mainly concerned with cupping. I have some good sources for all three.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-30-2020 at 5:15 PM.
    WoodsShop

Joe that’s some very nice looking WRC. I’ve used both Ayc and port orford cedars.
    If you can get Ayc cheaper then the WRC and it looks that good buy it. It’s a very stable and wonderful wood to have in a shop. I think the driest of the three will be the most stable.
    Quarter sawn port orford is pretty expensive. But a wonderful wood in its own right.
    Good Luck
    Aj

I use POC in boat building. While it’s good for moisture resistance I do get some cupping on some 4/4 boards wider than 6” or so. My stock is pretty much all flat sawn. I’ve never seen quarter sawn for sale but I’m sure if you can find it, esp if you can go and handpick in Oregon.

Save the shavings and put in small cloth bags to keep in drawers. Wonderful smell.

Where do you get the POC from Jon??
    WoodsShop

Blog Entries
    AYC might lower your costs a touch. It’s still cheaper than WRC but it’s rising in a hurry.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I’m away from home but seem to recall two sources in OR were East Fork and Bear Creek.

AYC lately has been very reasonable in price, especially compared to WRC. I really enjoy working with AYC as well. Clear AYC is one of my favorite woods and has proven very stable.