Thread: Reflections

Reflections

Hi Guys;
    It's been quite a while since I last posted here. In thinking back, it's been almost nine years since Rodne Gold did his "Marco Polo" thing and ventured into mainland China to investigate Chinese lasers and material suppliers. With outstanding descriptive skills and accuracy, he documented his findings on the Creek and lead one of the first waves of Western buyers into the Chinese market. I was one of those guys and want to express my appreciation for his efforts and continued support of the Creek.
    The past decade has been kind. We have had relatively good health, multiple grandchildren, and a prosperous business model. I have a Shenhui twin 80 watt 1380, purchased 9 years ago, which has paid for itself more than 30 times over. I continue to be amazed as to how reliable and consistent this machine has been. Problems? Sure- we've had a few but most turned out to be a loose cable or connection or some dumb operator thing. The main lesson I have learned is: When something goes wrong, look for the simple solution (loose wire, loose lens,etc.). Not easy if you are an engineer and can conjure up multiple complex issues. Three times I've replaced the mainboard only to discover a bad connection or faulty USB cable. Brief Machine history:
    1. One tube replaced thrice, one replaced twice- in 9 years of moderate use but heavy at times (10 hours per day for a week)
    2. X axis belt replaced twice- both due to melting caused by wood catching fire- now have camera!!
    3. No X,Y, or Z motors ever replaced.
    4. Mainboard replaced once due to bad USB port
    5. Replaced about 6 lenses- most due to crack in air hose causing excess flaring at point of cut and burn debris on lens
    6. Never replaced a mirror
    7. Tried EFR tubes- ok, but prefer RECI
    8. Replaced display unit once- don't remember why??
    9. C5000 chiller has performed flawlessly- running mix of 20% propylene glycol and distilled water and green dye- add a pint about every 3 months
    10. Replaced water flow switch once and need to replace Y axis limit switch
    11. Cutting a lot of wood as I do generates a lot of smoke and debris- tends to clog the exhaust blower-clean every 6 months

As I approach my 79th year, my wife suggested we slow down a bit and spend more time watching reruns of "Gilligans island"- no way, Jose.
    I just ordered a new bigger laser from China- dual 130 watt tubes and a 50 x36 bed. My old friend Joy Yang who worked for Shenhui has started his own company (Quantum Machinery in Liaocheng City) and is modifying one of his machines with western features which I requested. Separate front panel lighted switches for air, exhaust, lights, chiller (C6000 to handle two 130 watt tubes), vacuum, alarm, camera. heavy duty exhaust blower and all running at 110 VAC, 60 HZ. His new machines have greatly improved stepper motor belt drive , latest Ruida controller with WiFi, and Z axis height LCD indicator along with extra relay for End of Job alarm. This baby is going out in the garage as finally have valid excuse to get rid of two generations of bikes, trikes, and power wheels! Anyone wanting more info either PM me or email me at gmperzel@rochester.rr.com. Expect machine by end of April and will followup with pics and info.
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

George

Good to hear from you again. Glad everything is going well.

Are you still selling the wood thins?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi Mike;
    I am no longer actively selling wood thins but do have some cherry, beech, and basswood in different widths and lengths.
    Let me know if you ever need any as I can put together a USPS flat rate box so shipping is minimal.
    By the way, does anyone know how to change the profile info on the bottom of the page??
    Best regards;
    GM Perzel

George,

To edit your profile .....at top right click on "SETTINGS" it will open another page with option to change profile on left side of page.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Tony-thanks
    Got it
    Best regards;
    GM Perzel