Thread: Hot Dog a la Derek.

Hot Dog a la Derek.

Pretty much essential on my LV bevel up jack for shooting. No lathe in my shop, cut a piece of hickory in two, (1/3 and 2/3) then cut the plane profile in the smaller lower piece with chisels then I used a Forstner bit to drill a flat hole the depth of a large rare earth magnet in the upper piece and glued it back together. Used a spokeshave to shape it.

The magnet was to be optional but given the very low profile of the plane edge I was sceptical it would be sufficient. It was just adequate without the magnet but I wondered for how long so added the magnet with epoxy.
    Removal now requires a small hammer! No big deal it now lives on the plane, a keeper for the magnet.
    The level of comfort is a delight.

8B9EE4CE-2FBC-458B-90E5-5A9E3473A11C.jpg
    You can just see the edge of the magnet.
    D4EF80C7-7092-4C3E-A60E-65AE16C370FF.jpg
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Nice! Is the magnet the only thing holding the hot dog onto the plane?! Thanks. -Howard

Oh...thought you were giving cooking lessons in the shop.

Nice! Do you plan to add a runner to capture the plane in a track as well?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

William, I wish I had known or thought of rare earth magnets when I built these 13 years ago now. Well done!

The mortice chisel version: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...LV%20LAJ1.html

The power tool version: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ck%20pics.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    My hot dog went through a short evolution from vertical to horizontal orientation > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?130114

It was made for use on bevel down planes:

Hot Dog on #6.jpg

Since then an LN #62 was purchased with a hot dog. Recently a Veritas LH shooting plane was purchased.

Well, that is another story of evolution.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 04-14-2020 at 8:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Howard before the magnet was added the fit was just sufficient to hold it in place, it may have been fine for a while. Adding the magnet it’s a very tight fit, have to push it on with both hands and can’t remove it without a hammer! Eased the inside a little with a chisel.
    Christopher, I do have two rails made, when I find my medium size rare earth magnets I will insert them in the runway and sink steel washers in the bottom of the rails, I think they will hold the rail just fine.
    Derek you have enough hot dogs for a community barbecue (socially distanced of course). Your three part profile method looks much easier than my chisel effort!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!