Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixing a convex-backed plane blade

As previously mentioned, just sand or grind, all you're doing is finishing the job that somehow got skipped all those years ago at the factory. If it had been discovered before it left said factory, I can assure you they would not have fixed it by beating it with a hammer, nor should you. They would have just finished grinding/lapping the back to whatever the standard was at the time.

Dremel, sanding drum chucked in a drill, belt sander clamped belt-up in a vise, oscillating spindle sander, small piece of sandpaper held in hand, sandpaper over a small block of wood. Whatever. Just don't try to peen it out.

Once you remove the hump, lap it out on your honing stones up through the grits you have, hone as usual, done.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 03-31-2020 at 6:11 PM.

Removes the "hump/bump" on one face....but leaves a decided hollow on the other face, the one that is in contact with the face of the frog.....interesting.....

Too late -- it's already done, as I described in my post above. I also have snapped a blade in the past trying to bend it back, but this one bent very easily, most likely because of the soft metal in the laminated blade. The pictures in my earlier post show how much it was able to bend.

Looking at the pictures again, I also agree with Jim's assessment that the blade was bent beyond repair -- and I suspect the reason it was bent so much was because the laminated blade was easy to bend out of shape.