Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY Mask Designs

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I read an article a last week about nylon stockings being used over a homemade cotton mask, and extensive testing was done.

The results were better filtration then the n95 masks and surgical masks.

I didn't mention this earlier because I figured everyone would have heard about it. NPR did an article with the University, that did the testing with the special equuipment used for these tests.
    Thanks Michael. Here's the link:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...sks-study-find

The nylon stocking improves the seal to the face. Many of the masks I see aren't tight enough to seal around the edges. I added aluminum nose strips to my diy masks.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)

Had to get something notarized at the bank a month or so ago. The irony that everyone in the place was wearing a mask was not lost on me ;-))
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    The nylon stocking improves the seal to the face. Many of the masks I see aren't tight enough to seal around the edges. I added aluminum nose strips to my diy masks.
    The purpose of wearing a face covering in public is not to stop the wearer from getting COVID-19. It is to stop the wearer from transmitting COVID-19 if they don't know they are a carrier. Sure, not all the virus will be blocked, but the spittle and such that would normally go into the air is captured by the mask. A metal strip sure doesn't hurt if you can add one.

I have an N95 mask I bought a few years ago and didn't use. I won't use it for COVID-19 because it has an exhalation valve. It may protect me better, but it doesn't protect others.

Professor Dr. SWMBO is using pipe cleaners for the nose of the mask to make it easy to contour to the nose...especially important for folks who wear glasses. The pipe cleaners were not easy to come by, but they finally arrived.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I cut some narrow strips from Aluminum flashing for ours. I rounded the corners and smoothed the burrs with a belt sander. We'll see how long it takes for them to wear through the cloth.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Thanks for posting the link Andrew.

The stockings were tested and used for the first time when the 3 mile island incident happened in 1979. They were deemed effective in protecting people from the radioactive fallout particles.

They give a tight seal around the edges of the cotton masks and greatly improve the effectiveness other mask. I would get kinda warm wearing one, but if it helps so beit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The purpose of wearing a face covering in public is not to stop the wearer from getting COVID-19. It is to stop the wearer from transmitting COVID-19 if they don't know they are a carrier. Sure, not all the virus will be blocked, but the spittle and such that would normally go into the air is captured by the mask. A metal strip sure doesn't hurt if you can add one.

I have an N95 mask I bought a few years ago and didn't use. I won't use it for COVID-19 because it has an exhalation valve. It may protect me better, but it doesn't protect others.
    Thanks Brian. Good info about valves too.
    In making masks I'm trying to get protection from inhaled virus too. After all it's hard to stay 6' away at all times in a store isle.
    In the shop I'll hold my breath to walk out the door after my respirator is hung up to dry. In the store I do the same thing before coming close to people.
    I have several mask designs for different anticipated conditions. Some easier to wear for longer times and some are more protective. The right tool for the job
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I have been (essential) traveling - both commercial air and highway - and watching people wearing masks. I am not an expert by any means but from simple observations, the use and efficacy of masks for the general public is a joke. People put them on/off repeatedly, or adjust them, with no allowance for where their hands touch - to the mask or otherwise. Noses covered? Guessing that ~15-20% find it uncomfortable or just plain inconvenient.

And this without even considering the materials of construction, and their suitability to the task.

I'm sure there are some individuals who do it right, but collectively we are fooling ourselves to think masks will be any more than the equal of an aspirin for a cut throat.

This is the best explanation of the difference between mask and respirator that I have seen. The two terms are too often used as the same......they are not.

Jim

2020-05-02 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I think masks for all are kind of inevitable. There are two approaches to getting out of this thing:

1. Deliberately build herd immunity.
    a. To do that somewhere between 50-66% of the population must get sick and recover. We have 327 million people. Even using 1% fatality (low), that's 3.27 million deaths.
    Sweden is doing this, with 2,000 dead so far. They expect to achieve herd immunity in a few weeks.
    Maybe Swedes aren't obese with diabetes and high blood pressure. Who knows...