Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: DIY Mask Designs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Oregon
    Posts
    1,669

    DIY Mask Designs

    I made one. Just a t-shirt with my head thru the sleeve. A dish towel( tea towel) as a 2nd layer is tested to be more effective. I'll tuck it into the turtle neck shirt I'll wear. The gap at the nose is held tight by my eyeglasses and chums.

    Looks like this:

    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-30-2020 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Defaulted font to make it fully visible.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Oregon
    Posts
    1,669
    This site has info on testing of homemade mask materials:
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Highland MI
    Posts
    3,915
    Blog Entries
    11
    When I see that mask I think of the folks streaming out of the WTC on 9-11 faces covered in ash and debris. How many could have just pulled up an undershirt over their nose?
    NOW you tell me...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    52,359
    Professor Dr. SWMBO's V1 is quite stylin'.... next version will have a pocket for additional filtration as well as a metallic object that will allow forming back around the nose for proper close fit.

    IMG_E7065.jpg
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I made one. Just a t-shirt with my head thru the sleeve. A dish towel( tea towel) as a 2nd layer is tested to be more effective. I'll tuck it into the turtle neck shirt I'll wear. The gap at the nose is held tight by my eyeglasses and chums.

    Looks like this:

    You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Oregon
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)
    I thought that too Doug, but last week I saw several people at the grocery store with scarves and masks on. No one called the cops.
    In fact if your coughing or sneezing WITHOUT a mask on in stores people may call the cops
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-30-2020 at 7:33 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

  7. #7
    Best sterilization approach for re-use of personal protective gear is probably an ozone bath. Ozone will kill everything, even a non-living coronavirus. Just know what you are doing because it is only safe when used appropriately.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Oregon
    Posts
    1,669
    Funny how the information on masks changes as time goes on. Every day more experts say it's good for everyone to wear masks when they leave the house.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,390
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think masks for all are kind of inevitable. There are two approaches to getting out of this thing:

    1. Deliberately build herd immunity.
    a. To do that somewhere between 50-66% of the population must get sick and recover. We have 327 million people. Even using 1% fatality (low), that's 3.27 million deaths.
    b. vaccinate to get to herd immunity
    2. Test, track and quarantine like crazy. That path requires us to be very vigilant over the next 18 months or so until a vaccine is available. To hold infections to a minimum, masks are pretty much required. Since individuals are contagious several days before showing symptoms, we can't just 'stay home if we have a fever'.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 04-02-2020 at 3:28 PM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    Best sterilization approach for re-use of personal protective gear is probably an ozone bath. Ozone will kill everything, even a non-living coronavirus. Just know what you are doing because it is only safe when used appropriately.
    So then, my 3-ppm sodium di-chlorinated / ozone generated neutral pH 103į hot tub water should be the ideal laundromat for cleaning masks and PP gear.... or..?
    (hey, I don't know!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So then, my 3-ppm sodium di-chlorinated / ozone generated neutral pH 103į hot tub water should be the ideal laundromat for cleaning masks and PP gear.... or..?
    (hey, I don't know!)
    A Post in Another Thread points to a study of sanitizing "single use" masks for reuse. They didn't evaluate all failure modes, but some methods, e.g. alcohol, compromised the properties they tested. Before you rely on any home remedies you may want to read the study and the FAQ they have up.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I think masks for all are kind of inevitable. There are two approaches to getting out of this thing:

    1. Deliberately build herd immunity.
    a. To do that somewhere between 50-66% of the population must get sick and recover. We have 327 million people. Even using 1% fatality (low), that's 3.27 million deaths.
    b. vaccinate to get to herd immunity
    2. Test, track and quarantine like crazy. That path requires us to be very vigilant over the next 18 months or so until a vaccine is available. To hold infections to a minimum, masks are pretty much required. Since individuals are contagious several days before showing symptoms, we can't just 'stay home if we have a fever'.
    Just a mathematics comment. If 50% of the population gets the virus, that's 163 million. If 1% of those cases results in death, that's 1.63 million people. Still a lot, however.

    Mike

    [Right now, the CDC is reporting 53,000 deaths and about 1,000,000 cases. That's a 5% death rate. But many people are getting the disease and are not getting counted so the actual death rate is certainly lower. And the death rate is different for different age groups.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-02-2020 at 8:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    1,390
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oops. My mistake.

  14. #14
    Scientific studies in hospital settings have found that plain cloth masks only prevent about 5% of the virus from getting through compared to no mask at all. They can and do keep out some bacteria, molds, dust etc. I.E. virtually worthless for virus protection.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Northern Oregon
    Posts
    1,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Scientific studies in hospital settings have found that plain cloth masks only prevent about 5% of the virus from getting through compared to no mask at all. They can and do keep out some bacteria, molds, dust etc. I.E. virtually worthless for virus protection.
    Do you have any links to those studies?

    This study shows t-shirt cloth blocks 70% of particles 5 times smaller than the coronavirus, while 89% are blocked by a surgical mask: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-03-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you canít - youíre right."
    - Henry Ford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •