Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Mask Designs

This guy shows how to make a mask from blue shop towels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mai-UqdNRi8

No sewing required. Materials are one shop towel, a paper clip, two rubber bands, some Scotch tape and staples. It took me 5 minutes to make my first one, subsequent ones will be faster. They fit and seal on the face quite well. I wore one outside for about an hour walking around and doing moderate exercise and did not feel winded or light headed so it seems I was getting enough breathing air thru the mask. There are a number of references on the web that say that the blue shop towel material has reasonably good filtration performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Funny how the information on masks changes as time goes on. Every day more experts say it's good for everyone to wear masks when they leave the house.
    Given that a few weeks ago, there was clear understanding that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infected people were a major vector for transmission of Covid-19, someone wearing a mask is greatly reducing the chance that they are spreading the virus. The new recommendation to wear even the most basic mask or surrogate in public is based on that: You wear a mask, you protect others from you. They wear a mask, they protect you from them. If enough folks swallow their pride, un-puff their chests, deflate their aversion to being "told what to do" and just do this...the rate of spread will slow greatly and keep things manageable. If people don't do their part, we are in for a longer, nastier outcome.

And for the record, I'm currently most likely recovering from Covid-19 which is why I haven't been commenting over the last week. I was unable to. I was also unable to get tested because I could...breath on my own. I'm thankful for the breathing 'cause I'm still here, but sad I'm not going to know what bus hit me in the mean time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Given that a few weeks ago, there was clear understanding that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic infected people were a major vector for transmission of Covid-19, someone wearing a mask is greatly reducing the chance that they are spreading the virus. The new recommendation to wear even the most basic mask or surrogate in public is based on that: You wear a mask, you protect others from you. They wear a mask, they protect you from them. If enough folks swallow their pride, un-puff their chests, deflate their aversion to being "told what to do" and just do this...the rate of spread will slow greatly and keep things manageable. If people don't do their part, we are in for a longer, nastier outcome.

And for the record, I'm currently most likely recovering from Covid-19 which is why I haven't been commenting over the last week. I was unable to. I was also unable to get tested because I could...breath on my own. I'm thankful for the breathing 'cause I'm still here, but sad I'm not going to know what bus hit me in the mean time.
    Wow, glad your back Jim.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

More info on how and why face coverings work: https://masks4all.co/
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    This guy shows how to make a mask from blue shop towels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mai-UqdNRi8

No sewing required. Materials are one shop towel, a paper clip, two rubber bands, some Scotch tape and staples. It took me 5 minutes to make my first one, subsequent ones will be faster. They fit and seal on the face quite well. I wore one outside for about an hour walking around and doing moderate exercise and did not feel winded or light headed so it seems I was getting enough breathing air thru the mask. There are a number of references on the web that say that the blue shop towel material has reasonably good filtration performance.
    One time I broke my glasses and I had to hold them on to my head with rubber bands for the rest of the day. It was a great conversation starter! I never thought of trying staples.

Sorry to hear about that, Jim, and glad to hear you're recovering. At any point did you lose your sense of taste and/or smell? That's reportedly one of the stronger giveaways of it.

I'm glad to hear your're improving, Jim. Hope you're all well and back to normal soon.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Sorry to hear about that, Jim, and glad to hear you're recovering. At any point did you lose your sense of taste and/or smell? That's reportedly one of the stronger giveaways of it.
    I noticed it right as soon as I actually felt like eating again...late in the week. It was shocking. And folks who know me know that I'm a somewhat serious person in the kitchen now for a long time...I cook 5-6 days a week. Sweet was gone. Salt was way over emphasized. Some umami flavors are normalish; other things are off. The lemon poppy seed muffins my daughter made tasted like they had hot pepper on them. My tongue is a wasteland...it almost seems I need to regenerate new taste buds...and the roof of my mouth feels similarly. Kinda like the problem you experience when you accidentally get too-hot pizza sauce in your mouth and everything gets burnt away.

Smell is an interesting thing. There are some things I can smell more keenly. When I first came off the fevers I could smell this "whatever" that was similar to the smell you might find when you take off a bandage and skin sees the light of day for the first time in a few days. A friend and I talked about it...it was...me. We don't normally smell ourselves. It wasn't unpleasant, but was still a "what the heck" thing.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Keep in mind that using a sewing machine to poke the material full of 1mm holes every 32nd inch, sort of defeats the purpose.
    Gosh, the one my wife made for me only has stitching on the side near my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Gosh, the one my wife made for me only has stitching on the side near my ears.
    Agree. The stitching is a non-issue and isn't in the area that is filtering.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I think you mean University of San Francisco data scientist Jeremy Howard.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2864179293668570
    It makes sense to me.
    Yup, that would be him
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Jim, I am glad you are feeling better. One week of feeling sick is pretty short for symptomatic Covid-19, from what I have read, but the loss of your sense of smell is a strong indicator that you had it. It looks like the new tests for antibodies should tell you for sure, assuming you can get the test while your body still has them. Best of luck with your continued recovery!

I had a FaceTime call with my PA this morning and he fixed the testing problem...it was an oversight. He says it's still worth doing since it's only a few days since my fever stopped and it may still indicate something useful. I have that tomorrow morning. He also agreed that especially with the senses changes, it's more likely I had it than not. But we spent most of our time discussing something else.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)
    Funny the first time I wore it to the grocery store 2 people I know walked by and said " Hi Andrew, nice mask".
    - Henry Ford

I read an article a last week about nylon stockings being used over a homemade cotton mask, and extensive testing was done.

The results were better filtration then the n95 masks and surgical masks.

I didn't mention this earlier because I figured everyone would have heard about it. NPR did an article with the University, that did the testing with the special equuipment used for these tests.