Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Social distancing -- The words and the actions

I already 'socially distance' myself since I find that I dislike most people. Not all, not that much of a curmudgeon yet, but still find I prefer the company of a small group of people and the rest can simply go bother someone else.

I have thought the term itself was pretty dumb. Call it what it is, spatial distancing. Creating space between you and all others. Perhaps having a more accurate term will make people think about it more and do a better job of it. You can still socialize, just do it from 6 feet away. Or over the phone, or internet. Inaccurate terminology actually contributes to the problem.

I really don’t care about how it’s said, everyone needs to follow the recommendations. The people of this country will find a process to control or eliminate it. I can well remember going to the school one day in the early 1950’s with my Mom and sister. We were going to get shots. I surely did not want a shot at 7 years old. What I do Remember well was after my sister and I received the shots my mom was bawling in tears. I didn’t know then but I asked later. My mom told me it was tears of joy. She had been doing all she could to protect us. Children were dead or injured for life right in our neighborhood. Families were quarantined by their doctor with a sign on the door. I don’t know how they termed it then but it worked at least some. My Mom’s tears were tears of joy as described by her, that her children would be safe. Please just follow the request no mater how it’s worded.
    Oh yes it was poliovirus
    Last edited by James Pallas; 03-30-2020 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Add to

I have spent every day the last 20 years trying to avoid contact with people, this is great they have to stay away from me now.

I walk to my truck, drive to my shop, pull inside, close the door, don't have to see a single person all day except for my family.

Hopefully this is over soon because my wife keeps trying to get in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have spent every day the last 20 years trying to avoid contact with people, this is great they have to stay away from me now.

I walk to my truck, drive to my shop, pull inside, close the door, don't have to see a single person all day except for my family.

Hopefully this is over soon because my wife keeps trying to get in the house.
    That's a romantic delusion to put forth with a dose of bravado... but my guess is the day it really came true and you were truly alone you'd be curled up in a ball whimpering like a a school girl missing your wife and children.

People who are true loners don't spawn.

Be careful what you wish for
    It sounds great in a forum post but when its real.. or your shoveling dirt over top of them... well... then were back to the whimpering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    That's a romantic delusion to put forth with a dose of bravado... but my guess is the day it really came true and you were truly alone you'd be curled up in a ball whimpering like a a school girl missing your wife and children.

People who are true loners don't spawn.

Be careful what you wish for
    It sounds great in a forum post but when its real.. or your shoveling dirt over top of them... well... then were back to the whimpering.
    As soon as they are done with HS, I am moving far away from anyone and will be throughly enjoying the life of a hermit.

I go two places on a normal day, to get get smokes and the hardware store.

Being alone wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't like to go out and do anything, don't like restaurants, never go to a bar, don't do gatherings, parties, not really a fan of holidays, etc.

I'm an antisocial butterfly.

As soon as they are done with HS, I am moving far away from anyone and will be throughly enjoying the life of a hermit.
    Ted Kaczynski's cabin is probably available.

Well we have one thing in common Darcy lol..

Same, give me enough work to put my head down all day and make enough money to pay my bills without worry and I’m happy as a clam to work my life away. Helps I love what I do.

I loath family get togethers. Really any get together for that matter and always have, concerts, sporting events, dinners out anything that require i interact with anyone for any amount of time. I can happily do the 8 hrs of work thing with coworkers but I’m just as happy to not.

When I was a kid it was actually painful being social. I had friends but wow we’re all misfit loaner latchkey kid types. I guess being social can Still be a bit painful at times, maybe not painful anymore but it 100% just feels like a chore. I can pretend well as to not let others know I’d rather be doing just about anything else but pretty much that’s exactly what it is. Shocks me to hear over and over form people that know me they would never know this is how I feel. Guess I do I good job doing what you gotta do.

I have no wife by choice “no interest” no kids the same reasonAnd never have had the slightest interest in either. I love my mom to death and will miss her when she is gone. I bet I crawl into a ball and want to die for a number of years When she goes. But I’m sure I’ll get through that then blissfully waste away alone till my own time comes. Same plan head for the hills and deep deep into them. Let my teeth fall out my dam head and walk deeper into the woods and die like a dog does.

I’m sure this makes many think wow “what a wack job this guy mist be miserable” but I’m really not the slightest. Im happy as a clam and love life to be honest. I Relish everyday and want to live as long as I can. Crap I milk every darn hour out a day I can going non stop from the time I get up till I fall into bed. With that said when my time comes so be it.

When I was young I figured something was wrong with me. Now older I understand this is what works best for me and how I enjoy spending my life so why fight it. Different strokes for differ folks And nothing makes anything wrong with me anymore than the overly social.. Honestly I look at people that have to be social like they need it like I need to be alone and I think to myself what others must think about me being so kept to myself. I see pure disfunction and weakness. Like right now all these dam people that just can’t ay freaking out and just chill out. I see that for most “normal” people I guess lol it is a very big deal. But one I only understand being I understand that’s the norm for the masses.

My theory I got this was early on in life being forced to move to the tune of 1-2 times a year till I was like 16. It just became normal to me to not get attached to people and find satisfaction in self reliance. Then when I did get attached I found most of the time people just could not be counted on anyway with the commitment I tend to give pretty much everything I do.

Will sound totally a]sad disfunction all maybe pathetic to some but I promise it works very very well for me.

This social distancing part of this is a pretty much a dream come true. The rest not so much for the obvious reason mostly being hurt and so fife ring for others.

I go two places on a normal day, to get get smokes and the hardware store.

Being alone wouldn't bother me in the least. I don't like to go out and do anything, don't like restaurants, never go to a bar, don't do gatherings, parties, not really a fan of holidays, etc.

I'm an antisocial butterfly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post

I have a few places picked out already, miles from anyone.

Lol..

That response makes me happy..

I have a few places picked out already, miles from anyone.

Lol, Ive got 115 acres 2 miles from the paved road on a high ridge in the middle of no where... Interesting conversation and off topic. Patrick, way too much in your post is familiar but a lot is also kinda... well... is what it is..

Start saving for your great escape. Theres not many places to live a reclusive life in places like Kenmore Square unless you hit the big time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Probably one of the most priceless responses Ive read on SMC.. lol. Almost worth of print/frame...

Lol..

Kenmore square. So you must have spent some time in boston I suspect at some point.

I know, I know I know. It is a tall order a there are not so many places so remote left unless you have big bucks. Honestly without my motherhoods care for I’d be happy to be dropped in the middle of remote Alaska with a. Few simple tools and figure it out like whoever that guy was.

Patagonia is high on the list but I bet I have to settle for a middle ground mid cost Maine or very northern Vermont.

I have traveled extensive both as a pro cyclist and climber. I know these places still excites even a guy like I can afford but yeah your gonna be totally off the map and if anything happens on your own and totally screwed.

Sound like my idea of fun but it doesn’t matter as I’m a only child of a single mother and no way ill leave her behind.i can however convince her to go somewhere in the middle in the coming years,

Lol, Ive got 115 acres 2 miles from the paved road on a high ridge in the middle of no where... Interesting conversation and off topic. Patrick, way too much in your post is familiar but a lot is also kinda... well... is what it is..

Start saving for your great escape. Theres not many places to live a reclusive life in places like Kenmore Square unless you hit the big time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Lol..

Kenmore square. So you must have spent some time in boston I suspect at some point.

I know, I know I know. It is a tall order a there are not so many places so remote left unless you have big bucks. Honestly without my motherhoods care for I’d be happy to be dropped in the middle of remote Alaska with a. Few simple tools and figure it out like whoever that guy was.

Patagonia is high on the list but I bet I have to settle for a middle ground mid cost Maine or very northern Vermont.

I have traveled extensive both as a pro cyclist and climber. I know these places still excites even a guy like I can afford but yeah your gonna be totally off the map and if anything happens on your own and totally screwed.

Sound like my idea of fun but it doesn’t matter as I’m a only child of a single mother and no way ill leave her behind.i can however convince her to go somewhere in the middle in the coming years,
    Born and raised nearby. Family from your two northern escape destinations. Again, very similar. Raised by a flock of women, not an only child but about as close as you can get (a very late in the game xmas or new years party, or winter power outage, gone awry well after the two "planned" children were already on the scene). Its both a blessing and a curse.

Living alone is a wonderful notion but when the move was made with (ex) wife to a very rural remote life, for all the right reasons, a very dear, and EXTREMELY reclusive friend who was not far west of you who had plowed through life completely alone and had done some pretty amazing things, said to me something to the extent of "you will be fine out there in the woods, because no matter how bad a day you have, no matter how hard it gets, you'll know that when you look over your shoulder,... your not alone". From the mouth of a card carrying, full fledged, recluse.

Proenekke is a life I could never pull off. Its inspirational yet really wild to me. Again in my mind you can probably pull that off in good conscience as you havent spawned.

Dont shut the door on a connection that could be phenomenal. Door may never open, but at least leave the door unlocked. An amazing connection with someone makes it a lot different.

Have you read any of the Nearing books? The Good Life? Loving and Leaving the Good Life?
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 03-31-2020 at 2:36 PM.

I am not mentioning my preferred spots, but the midwest does offer some wonderful sparsely populated areas for stupid cheap prices. Apparently no one likes 6 months of winter.

Hmm,

No I have not read the books and I’d say this is jus the time for such but after my work coming to a screeching halt the result of malfunctioning shaper I must now put my head down and get something done.

I hope I don’t paint a picture of a door shut as I’m old enough with enough various experiences both good and bad to know that exactly what you speak is truth. It’s not that I can’t enjoy the company as others quite the opposite. It’s just i don’t need company or companionship for the sake of either. I relationship regardless of how superficial or involved has to be of serious substance for me to motivate beyond the contentment I find on my own.

Your explanation of your friend is one I understand well. Nothing can keep one company like nature but until you have that experience and develop the deep connection with it only massive amounts of time can unveil you just can’t get it. I spend nearly ten years on the back of a bicycle 40-60hrs a week. The additional time spent traveling often solo from race to race was also significant. Then there is my background as a climber. When I climbed I pretty much worked just enough to sustain climbing five days a week. Often this meant most would be at work. As a result I spent much time in the mountains by myself. Is used to regularly run mom t Washington in the winter in under 2.5 hrs lot to summit and back. Same ice climbing ad rock climbing. If nobody was available I’d just go climb alone sans rope and all as that’s what it required. Nothing gets you in touch with nature like being plastered to a cliff without a rope and nothing between you and the ground but hundreds of feet of wide open air.

Honestly I always enjoyed my time climbing buy myself out in the mountains by myself. It’s not that I did not enjoy the very intimate partnership of a good climbing partner as I did that side by side. But through all those experiences i learnt as I have been again as a full time shop woodworker that I thrive when I’m alone.

I can do the not alone thing but it makes everything harder.

So what happened to your friend?

Born and raised nearby. Family from your two northern escape destinations. Again, very similar. Raised by a flock of women, not an only child but about as close as you can get (a very late in the game xmas or new years party, or winter power outage, gone awry well after the two "planned" children were already on the scene). Its both a blessing and a curse.

Living alone is a wonderful notion but when the move was made with (ex) wife to a very rural remote life, for all the right reasons, a very dear, and EXTREMELY reclusive friend who was not far west of you who had plowed through life completely alone and had done some pretty amazing things, said to me something to the extent of "you will be fine out there in the woods, because no matter how bad a day you have, no matter how hard it gets, you'll know that when you look over your shoulder,... your not alone". From the mouth of a card carrying, full fledged, recluse.

Proenekke is a life I could never pull off. Its inspirational yet really wild to me. Again in my mind you can probably pull that off in good conscience as you havent spawned.

Dont shut the door on a connection that could be phenomenal. Door may never open, but at least leave the door unlocked. An amazing connection with someone makes it a lot different.

Have you read any of the Nearing books? The Good Life? Loving and Leaving the Good Life?