Thread: WEN 10" Band Saw

WEN 10" Band Saw

Looking at this as an intro band saw for my setup. I am limited on space and funds as well. Looking at this unit I like the fact that you can run a 1/2" blade in it.

Anybody else have experience with this machine?

Also, I saw a comment somewhere where a person was saying how 72" blades are getting hard to come by. Is that something I should be concerned about?

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3962-Two-...d-tools&sr=1-2

Not with this machine, but I had a Rikon 10-305. This seems a little less nice, mainly due to the aluminum table. I don't much care for aluminum as a sliding surface. The latest Rikon model, 10-306 I think, is the king of 10" bandsaws at the moment. Steel machine with cast iron table and quick release tension lever.

That said this one would probably do fine for general purpose ripping and curve cutting. While it has the capacity to resaw up to 6", I wouldn't expect very good results given 1/3 hp motor and light build.

You can run 1/2" blades on most of the 10" saws I've heard of but they might struggle to tension them. On lower end saws its often better to run a narrower blade than the max the saw can fit. A woodslicer-type of blade is a good bet for rips and resaws on little saws, they are super thin and very sharp when new, so cut with less tension and power required.

You can order bandsaw blades of whatever length you want, from places like Spectrum Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Not with this machine, but I had a Rikon 10-305. This seems a little less nice, mainly due to the aluminum table. I don't much care for aluminum as a sliding surface. The latest Rikon model, 10-306 I think, is the king of 10" bandsaws at the moment. Steel machine with cast iron table and quick release tension lever.

That said this one would probably do fine for general purpose ripping and curve cutting. While it has the capacity to resaw up to 6", I wouldn't expect very good results given 1/3 hp motor and light build.

You can run 1/2" blades on most of the 10" saws I've heard of but they might struggle to tension them. On lower end saws its often better to run a narrower blade than the max the saw can fit. A woodslicer-type of blade is a good bet for rips and resaws on little saws, they are super thin and very sharp when new, so cut with less tension and power required.

You can order bandsaw blades of whatever length you want, from places like Spectrum Supply.
    Thanks for the info!

How did you like your Rikon? I had not looked at them because I thought they were more expensive. Turns out they are reasonable on their price...

As long as any limitations of the specific saw (throat depth, cut height, power) will not hinder how you want to use it, you will enjoy having a bandsaw. You can get blades of any measurement (including partial inches/cm) from quite a few companies. They weld them to order, typically from brand name blade stock.

That said, I'll also suggest you look at the Rikon...they have a good reputation in the small bandsaw space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don’t own a 10” but have been researching a while for one. I plan to get the Rikon 306.

Btw why the desire to run a 1/2” blade? I run a 3/8” on my 19” saw for most things and it’s fine. Focus on tpi.

Also there are many online sources for blades in custom lengths.

Blog Entries
    I suggest you look around for used band saw. I am in my 80's and I'm sure my wife will give or sell my saw to some one.
    It is a Jet with a riser block and sits on a roll around base.

I have this saw. For the money, it's fine. It is what it is though, a small, underpowered saw. The stock blade is pure trash. I really disliked the saw when I first got it. I then switched to a 1/2" woodslicer blade and it performs much better. I bought a Laguna 18bx last summer and was planning on getting rid of the WEN but it's been nice having two saws so I've kept it for now. We'll see how much longer I put up with it taking up space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan W Taylor View Post
    Thanks for the info!

How did you like your Rikon? I had not looked at them because I thought they were more expensive. Turns out they are reasonable on their price...
    It was decent overall. Only 4-5/8" resaw capacity, and 9-1/2" rip capacity. Within those limitations it performed pretty well. Just enough power, but I did bog it down a few times resawing gummy wood like 2x4s from the home store.

The lack of a quick release tension lever is annoying, and IIRC there's no indicator on the saw to tell you how much tension you're applying. I ended up tuning to a pitch, a 1/2" woodslicer tuned to the low E string on a guitar was just about right. It rarely ever got detensioned. If you don't use the saw relatively often the tires can get flat spots.

It has bearing guides but they are a real pain to adjust properly, and require an allen wrench. They move a bit when you tighten which makes setting them an exercise in frustration.

Also the fence is not that great. It clamps on both ends of the table and is prone to clamping out of square.

Rikon may have improved some of these things. Mine was 2009 vintage or so. I know that the "deluxe" 10" 10-306 has a quick tension lever and tool-less guides. But is considerably more expensive.

You might also consider a used 14" delta or one of its clones. Should be similar in price and will be more capable. Footprint won't be that much different.

Right now there is a used Rikon on amazon for $340 shipped to the house. Yeah it has some scratches and stuff on it, but that is not what I care about.

I just want the most value for my $$$ as a brand new person to this. It's awesome when you can purchase the caddy but when you are operating on a vw budget...

I dived in and got my very first band saw earlier this year, the newly released Rikon 10-306 (not the immediately re-released 10-3061). It has performed beautifully. Until yesterday, I was reluctant to take off the 3/16" blade it came with, as I had only used it for curves thus far.

But yesterday I held my breath and trusted this little dynamo with putting tenon cheeks on my precious cherry rails that I have been nurturing for a year (I'm a hobbyist who has had a crazy busy business year). I put on the 1/2" blade I had bought when I bought the saw and sawed through 2" and 3-1/2" wide tenons, on edge. No drift. None. The surface condition was nice and smooth. All parts, including cutoffs, were uniform, straight, and square.

Big thumbs up for the 10-306. It added features Robert was missing on his 10-305 (sorry Robert): tension release lever, no-tool guide adjustment, and close to a full 5" resaw capacity. Changing the blades was painstaking but easy in the end. I needed to adjust the bottom wheel, but the clear instructions worked the first time.

If I were a better man, I'd leave out this gloat: I bought it on the cusp of the 10-3061 release (which admittedly does have a more accessible angled dust port, but I've already modified mine), when Woodcraft and others were putting it on sale for a couple of weeks or a month. $250. The next month it shot up to $450 and has hovered around $425 since.

______

The Wen looks like a reverse-engineered Rikon 10-305, but with a 6" resaw capacity, plus a light, a stand, and a miter gauge: an impressive features-to-price ratio. The description says it has a cast iron –– not aluminum –– base, although the fence and rail are aluminum like on the Rikon 10-inch. Hard to tell if the Wen guides are toolless; I don't think so. I see it on Amazon for $256, but you could otherwise get the Rikon 10-305 for $283 (albeit without the light, stand, or miter gauge). Or you could hold off and look for a used 10-306 or 10-3061 from someone who's upgrading.

Either way, Jim Becker is right: you'll like having a band saw.

I got a 10-305 for $254 with 3 extra blades and free shipping when Acme tools had a 15% off sale shortly before the 306 came out. I am very pleased with it. I use it only for curve cutting with a 1/4" or 1/8" blade as I have a bigger saw for straight cuts and resawing. I've stalled it a few times cutting a 1" radius in 2-1/4" thick walnut or cherry or maple, but that was just from pushing it too hard and as soon as I backed off it started spinning again by itself. I sold the rip fence soon after getting the saw, my big one has a fence that locks instantly and is always parallel to the slot, so it's a lot handier for that. I would watch for sales, they can be a big help. I had my eye out for a small saw for a few months before I found that deal and bought it.

Well, I just jumped on a used Rikon 10-306. So here is hoping for the best.

And you're on your way. Good luck with the new tool. Curves! Circles! Moderate resaw (get a 1/2" 3 TPI blade)! Stop cuts perpendicular to the face (dovetails, anyone?)! Plus, your safest power tool.

Welcome to the newly initiated band saw faithful. Download and print the user manual if your seller doesn't have it. Keep your blades sharp and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    And you're on your way. Good luck with the new tool. Curves! Circles! Moderate resaw (get a 1/2" 3 TPI blade)! Stop cuts perpendicular to the face (dovetails, anyone?)! Plus, your safest power tool.

Welcome to the newly initiated band saw faithful. Download and print the user manual if your seller doesn't have it. Keep your blades sharp and enjoy.

You actually just mentioned the saw blade which I was going to research tonight. Looking at doing a lot of white oak resaw work.

So a 1/2" 3TPI is the optimal for resaw?

Not much to add to this, but I purchased the Sears Craftsman version of the Rikon 305 some years ago because they offered a discount to me as a veteran. The biggest limitation of the Craftsman/305 is the less than 5" cutting height. Otherwise I love my saw.