Thread: Super Nova Chuck Key

Super Nova Chuck Key

I have an offer to buy a used Super Nova Chuck. It has no key. Does anyone know what size hex key they take.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

5/16 inch,
    That is interesting. My answer was just the size. The forum returned an error message that my message was too short and 10 characters were required.

Original supernova has a geared key that is no longer obtainable from the company. The only 3rd party maker is a company in the UK.

Supernova2 uses the hex key.

When you say "super nova", do you know which version it is?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    Original supernova has a geared key that is no longer obtainable from the company. The only 3rd party maker is a company in the UK.

Supernova2 uses the hex key.

When you say "super nova", do you know which version it is?
    You are absolutely correct about the original Super Nova using a geared key not a hex key.....the poster does need to make sure of which he has an opportunity of getting.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Here are some photos of the chuck. It is marked Nova Scroll Chuck. Any thoughts where to get a key.
    48796A0F-7AA7-4D71-A393-F2B5351E4FA4.jpg31A419DA-7E33-4411-880A-A060092E3C98.jpg45E617BE-A736-4780-B75E-9ABC9B8C165C.jpg

I don't know for sure, but a Nova G3 chuck wrench is geared and may work. i would contact Technatool and ask them.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Thanks, I have a G3 and it does not work.

Nova doesn't make or have them. Nova version apparently was prone to breaking, thus chucks floating around with no key. Gotta order from that U.K. company. I got a SN1 for super cheap on the auction site and got the U.K. key, works great. The G3 key doesn't work, that would be too easy for them to make it compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Here are some photos of the chuck. It is marked Nova Scroll Chuck. Any thoughts where to get a key.
    48796A0F-7AA7-4D71-A393-F2B5351E4FA4.jpg31A419DA-7E33-4411-880A-A060092E3C98.jpg45E617BE-A736-4780-B75E-9ABC9B8C165C.jpg
    Hmm. That's the earlier SN with the pinion gear on the key similar to that of the G3. I have some of all of the Nova chucks. The SN and G3 keys are not interchangeable. I've recently given away most of my G3s and want to buy some more SN2 chucks which use the allen key - the SN2s are much better in my opinion for that and several other reasons. I've already given away one SN key and don't have enough spares to give away another. (If I sell the chucks I'd like to include keys.)

One option might be to find another identical chuck that comes with a key. They you would have two and a key. I think two chucks are three or four times as useful as one chuck!

Also, what do you want to turn? A new G3 can be found on sale at a reasonable price. It's a little smaller in diameter but I think it will handle almost anything the SN will.

If I decide to sell any of the original SN chucks (with keys) I'll post them on classifieds here.

BTW, I've never broken a key. Perhaps some people are heavy handed. Years ago I bought some used SN chucks and the guy had evidently used a cheater bar to tighten - there had been so much force the chuck body on one was warped and some of the slides were damaged. It took me hours to repair them. But through all this, the keys were in good shape.

JKJ