Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People expecting exceptions to policies

People expecting exceptions to policies

I was at Menards today and a gentleman was doing a no receipt return so he got store credit. He had two young kids with him. He was fairly upset because they wouldn't let him into the store due to the current nobody under 16 rule. He had them get a manager who told him the same thing. He was also upset because he now had a store credit and couldn't spend it.

Why do some expect they should be given an exception to policy? I am sure Menards put the policy in place because kids like to touch everything and most don't understand the need to stay 6 feet from anyone who isn't family. I assume 16 was chosen because most youth under 16 don't have ID listing a birth date.

There always have been and always will be folks who's expectations are different than reality...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As Jim said some people want exceptions made for them because they are "special". It's clearly posted and advertised about the no one under 16 policy at this time. It just makes sense really. They are trying to get people to not do "family" outings to grocery stores as well. As for the store credit policy for no receipt or if it's been longer than 90 days I'm okay with that. I am almost always there to get more supplies if I am returning items anyway. It's still a generous return policy in my opinion.

I don't think he was upset that he got store credit. He was upset that he couldn't go into the store and spend the credit because he had the two kids with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went down the block to Home Depot instead.

There are people who simply believe rules do not apply to them. They are frequently the ones who have issues with moral and ethical consistency. Sooner or later, he was have an encounter with karma and it won't be pleasant.

It takes all kinds Brian. I handle support for a Danish software company so I get stuck with the chat function. Today I had a guy that texted me: "I want the software for free until I learn it. I want it for a year." I texted him back: "and I want a pony."

Don't know why he hung up.....
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    It takes all kinds Brian. I handle support for a Danish software company so I get stuck with the chat function. Today I had a guy that texted me: "I want the software for free until I learn it. I want it for a year." I texted him back: "and I want a pony."

That sir is hilarious!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Menards no longer has the no kids policy on the front of their website, but they have prominent signs at each door of the store. (They a separate COVID-19 page that talks about no kids.) I liked the people I saw who wanted to go in the OUT door even though there are several signs to enter through the IN door.

I saw this at happen at Menards today, but I always see people who think policies should not apply to them. If you ask nicely you might get an exception to a policy, but be mean and nasty about it and nobody is going to make an exception for you. (I doubt anyone gets an exception to the no kids policy right now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post

I agree with Ken - that is hilarious.
    I wonder what Rob Lee would say.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I really try not to take my kids some place right now, but if you have to have/need something and there is no way for them to stay at home wtf are you supposed to do?

They stayed in the truck with the great dane last time I ran into our small mom and pop grocery to get somethings we needed. Truck running, big dog, little town, not worried I can hear the truck idling inside the store.

Our state has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for people arriving from out of state. You must arrive with everything you need for 14 days. No grocery shopping, no trips to the drugstore, or going for a walk.

It is amazing how many people think that the quarantine doesn't apply to them. One of the town officials was telling stories about what people do/say when confronted. No personal information disclosed. My favorite was a retired doctor who felt that his medical degree allowed him to avoid the quarantine. The police officer told him that being a doctor should make him understand the reason for the quarantine & he can't leave his property. He went back to his winter house.

I always thought quarantine was for those who were sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    Our state has a mandatory 14 day quarantine for people arriving from out of state. You must arrive with everything you need for 14 days. No grocery shopping, no trips to the drugstore, or going for a walk.

It is amazing how many people think that the quarantine doesn't apply to them. One of the town officials was telling stories about what people do/say when confronted. No personal information disclosed. My favorite was a retired doctor who felt that his medical degree allowed him to avoid the quarantine. The police officer told him that being a doctor should make him understand the reason for the quarantine & he can't leave his property. He went back to his winter house.
    Who is monitoring and enforcing these quarantined people? The police around here wouldn't know me from adam. Here in Florida it was said to self quarantine if you arrived from NY but who's keeping track?
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    When one of the kids gets sick he'll want to sue the store . . . we all know that guy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am surprised they are taking returns. Some stores here have stopped taking any returns for the duration. Not just hoarding stuff like tp and hand sanitizer but anything at all. Makes sense to not allow potentially contaminated goods into the store for now.
    Bil lD