Thread: Shout out and question to John Jordan

Shout out and question to John Jordan

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with turning but since John frequents this section a lot I thought to post the question here. I've followed John's work and comments on this forum for some time and always appreciated his input and admired the work he has done. So inquiring minds have to ask what type of work, i.e turning, wood flat work- neanderthal/power tools, carving, etc. he finds most enjoyable? Also, what type of work does he find doing better than others?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with turning but since John frequents this section a lot I thought to post the question here. I've followed John's work and comments on this forum for some time and always appreciated his input and admired the work he has done. So inquiring minds have to ask what type of work, i.e turning, wood flat work- neanderthal/power tools, carving, etc. he finds most enjoyable? Also, what type of work does he find doing better than others?
    You talkin' ta me?

Yikes, I have a lot of "most enjoyable" things. With the farm I don't have a lot of shop time but when I do it's mostly woodturning. Unlike the other John Jordan, the famous one who says only turn green wood, I almost always turn dry wood, the harder the better, and usually fairly small things. I have three pages of pics in my photo gallery here if you are interested in the kinds of things I like to make. https://sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=862 I only turn big bowls when someone needs one real bad. I turn for fun and rarely make things to sell.

Second to turning is carving, primarily chip carving.

BOC_C_Jack_01_IMG_6687.jpg

I have a plane and some chisels and hand saws. I think I know where they are.

I do have the common shop tools including a cabinet saw with a sliding attachment, but I only do flat wood occasionally to build something for the house or jigs and such. I have a small metal lathe and mill plus welders and plasma cutter and such for making tools and things and for farm repair.

But one of my other favorite things to do is process logs into turning blanks! Chainsaws, log hauling/handling equipment, sawmill behind the barn, 18" shop bandsaw and a big turning blank drying and storage area makes it easy - I have to be careful I don't spend all my shop time making blanks! The dogwood I'm turning now has been drying since 2006. I must have wood for at least 20 years of turning and I can't stop (and I'm 70!) Somebody help me!

ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_175649_933.jpg auction_wood_2018_larger.jpg

I love to do club demos and teach too, especially turning to beginners (and old guys )
    And a recent one-day private class at Arrowmont. Just before the world collapsed.

WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

Arrowmont_03_s.jpg

In the last year I've started teaching bandsaw classes in my shop on how to (safely) cut and dry high-quality turning blanks from green log sections - six classes so far, they have been very popular with the turning club members. (Although on hold for now...)

BTW, my primary woodwork for a couple of years was with construction lumber, building the shop.
    I always tell visitors I built it with my bare hands but I lie - I used tools.

shop_wall_construction_B.jpg shop_rebar_IMG_20130918_164455_2.jpg shop_llamas_IMG_20150422_08_re.jpg

When the world is stable again come visit if you get this way. (Invitation is open to anyone.) I've had the pleasure of visitors from many points in the US and one very nice gentleman all the way from Australia! Come take a llama for a walk.

(Yikes, once I get going I write too much - it's your fault!)

JKJ

Thanks for asking this question Steve and for the enlightened answer John. Lets us all get a little closer to John!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Thanks for asking this question Steve and for the enlightened answer John. Lets us all get a little closer to John!
    Yikes, watch your social distancing! Until after all this is over, then I want to make a road trip to Canada and elsewhere.

JKJ

Well, John, if and when you head towards Canada will you stop to say hi to Pete K and let me finally buy you lunch as an overdue thank you for all the info you share?

And me too John. I think I would even take the time to give my shop a super clean in honour of your trip and will get the Disco ball all shined up . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I haven't been to Canada in 20 years, the last time was a couple of trips to Saskatoon for work and some wandering around Lake Louise. My Lovely Bride would like to visit some areas due north of us. Due to her position with the government, she's see parts of the country that I've not.

Don, I will certainly stop and see Pete. I talked to him just the other day. Since the symposium market has dissolved I hope he will set up for on-line sales. He as some incredible wood, many high-quality exotics. (For those unfamiliar with him, look up Big Monk Lumber in KY south of Cincinnati. Pete doesn't have a shop to browse but his wood is as good as his character and I have no qualms about calling him and ordering a box of wood for shipment. He'll tell you on the phone what's available.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You talkin' ta me?

When the world is stable again come visit if you get this way. (Invitation is open to anyone.) I've had the pleasure of visitors from many points in the US and one very nice gentleman all the way from Australia! Come take a llama for a walk.

JKJ
    Thanks for the nice plug John. I was hoping to drop in again in October but I think that is a distant dream now.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Casey View Post
    Thanks for the nice plug John. I was hoping to drop in again in October but I think that is a distant dream now.
    Rgds,
    Richard.
    This is when Richard came. I'm the good-looking one. No wait, Richard is the....
    Ok, neither of us will likely be hired for a fashion magazine cover.

Richard_Casey_IMG_20171031_110412_038.jpg

Visits the both the East and West ends of Australia are on my bucket list.

JKJ