Thread: No wonder people die from Fractal Burning!

No wonder people die from Fractal Burning!

I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Lichtenberg burning process and the dangers of it. I was just browsing through videos on Youtube this morning and came across this one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBQcQF70s48 Hard to imagine someone would not only try a setup like this but encourage others to do it. His "probes" are a real accident waiting to happen and he isn't even wearing any protective gloves! This is the kind of video that makes me wonder why it is even on Youtube for gullible people to try...

Barry, I made one from a part of a machine that you and I have serviced. It worked great, but I figured that one mistake and my wife would have to figure out how to get rid of all my "stuff." It was a mistake to even fool with it, and I would encourage those who wish to try this process: Don't. It's only a burned piece of wood - definitely not worth the risk. There are other ways to decorate a piece of wood. Making decisions is all about a scale weighing risk and reward....

LOL..... I never made one of those from one of our machines but I did make a good dust collection system for my lathe!!!!

CAM00685.jpg CAM00687.jpg CAM00686.jpg

The subject that will never end.

Looks like arc welding to me. I would think an isolation transformer would provide some degree of protection. that is why you can weld in the rain or at sea.
    Bil lD

The guy made the video in 2017. I wonder if he's still alive.

It's interesting to read the comments on the video, almost all positive with a handful suggesting caution, and many more similar videos available. Crazy, man.

I saw a couple of very beautiful (to my eye) turnings with delicate Lichtenburg patterns in a gallery in Mendocino, but most of the examples I have seen on the net have been disappointing. The gallery owner said the artist had been doing it for some time so presumably (?) he has a safe setup, but I wonder what his success rate is (rating success by an attractive, saleable result).There doesn't seem to be much control over what happens- scarcely seems worth the risk.

I have a good friend who consults to factories for OSHA compliance. I showed him the version that is sold as "safe". He was amazed. The safeguards in the commercial units don't meet 600V requirements. 3kV is much more dangerous than 600V and atmospheric arcing is very real problem. Esp when there's enough power to burn wood....